General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made In America

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a dream of replacing everything that is made somewhere else with amarican made prts. like i said, a deram.lol.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

company a: based in the US has to pay $200 in labour costs alone to manufacuter a unit that has $10 in material and sells to HD for $300 a unit HD marks it up to $400

Now Company b makes exact same product of the exact same quality standards as company A and can do it for $5 in material costs and $10 in labour costs and bills it to HD for $25 a unit therby keeping a similer profit ratio to manufacturer but HD's Profit is now massive

hmmm if Americans Canadians etc didnt demand $50/hr+ to do a job a HS drop out has the education and skill to do then you would likely see alot more made in US or Made in canada items in places like HD but that will never happen just like we will never get rid of taxes or government

Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
company a: based in the US has to pay $200 in labour costs alone to manufacuter a unit that has $10 in material and sells to HD for $300 a unit HD marks it up to $400

Now Company b makes exact same product of the exact same quality standards as company A and can do it for $5 in material costs and $10 in labour costs and bills it to HD for $25 a unit therby keeping a similer profit ratio to manufacturer but HD's Profit is now massive

hmmm if Americans Canadians etc didnt demand $50/hr+ to do a job a HS drop out has the education and skill to do then you would likely see alot more made in US or Made in canada items in places like HD but that will never happen just like we will never get rid of taxes or government

Hence why Unions have sucked this country dry.
sorry to my brothers and sisters.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

It is what it is and is not likely to change now or in the foreseeable future. Refusing to buy that nice coat you like because it is made in China is only serving to deprive you of the coat and nothing more. Years ago I decided to quit going to movie theaters because it was too expensive and I decided not to buy an Erickson phone because they screwed me out of a promised rebate. Movie theaters are still here and so is Erickson. I would prefer American made products but until you can convince a massive amount of the population to not set foot in a WalMart or buy any non American product, refusal to buy foreign made goods is not going to accomplish much.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM
fladawg01
Tourer

This country wanted a global economy. We wanted the rest of the world to buy our goods. In order to do so we in turn had to reciprocate the process. The other countries looked at the goods we were delivering and decided to compete. Unfortunately most of the competeing countrys were considered 2nd and 3rd tier econonomies who couldn't afford the American made products, so they started making them themselves, and then started selling them back at the USA. Then the manufacturing companies here were so impressed with the similar quality and lower production costs, they decided to invest in these companies or build their prodcucts there as well. Now you see the results.

The global economy has taken the jobs away from here because of competing against economies that were far below our standards of living. 40K yearly here, turned into 5-10K in other countrys when this started. Now some of those low rates are climbing and they're at 12-18K yearly, still far below what this countries work force can afford to work at or would accept to work at.

Until these countries get labor rates higher more jobs will continue overseas. Ho much does it cost to answer a phone? Ask India and their growing service centers for answering phone calls. Here the operators or phone workers would make 12-15 an hour, there it's more like 5-6 an hour. Now you see why when you try to contact a company regarding warranty work or some other service you get people you can't understand.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
I went to our local dealer today with my gift card that my kids gave me for Christmas. I spent about twenty minutes trying to find something I liked that was made in the USA. Although I did like the jackets, they were all made in China. The touring section had a number of parts that were from America. But, there did not seem to be any logical pattern for where the stuff was made. I found some nice billet floorboard inserts that were made in the USA. But the ones with a rubber HD insert were made in Taiwan. I will have to admit that you can find more made in USA parts there than you could find in a Walmart, but still I ended up walking out to mull things over before buying. I wish that HD would realize that there are some of us that are really determined not to add anymore Chinese to their bikes. For the price that these things are listed at, you could make good money buiolding them right here in the Good Ol USA.
Save the gift card for when you need a part. No need to buy , just for the sake of spending the card.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RutRoo
I was looking at a vest that had a large tag that said DESIGNED IN THE USA.. small tag that said made in china.. I was not fooled.. Thats just the way I am..
OMG, that is so lame, did somebody actually think that was going to fool or satisfy anyone? If it was made in China it don't mean a damn thing being designed in USA. What a crock. I think I'm gonna be ill.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM
DaveFLSTFB
Road Captain

"Might" be made in America.....might

Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

It starts with you and me..Buy American..

Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyttt
Hence why Unions have sucked this country dry.
sorry to my brothers and sisters.
You can blame the unions all you want, but no American (union or non) will work for the wages that they get overseas. It is lower than minimum wage.

Quick Reply: Made In America