General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made In America

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an item made overseas did not sell then it would not matter how large their profit margin was as 100% of $0 is still $0. However everyone has got to decide they will pay $75 for item a made in America instead of $30 fro similar item made in China or wherever. For instance buy Pointer Brand jeans at $30 a pair, all made in Bristol TN, instead of the $8 pair at Walmart made in Hondurus, oh by the way, the jean material in the Pointer is thinner to try and reduce cost so probably won't last as long. If everyone had this mentality then we would all go straight to the dealer and purchase part and accesories instead of from the cheapest place we can find.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Here we go again...

If you think this subject is a waste of your time why bother reading it or posting?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also try to buy only American made products. I can't believe how much crap is made else where. Almost everywhere you look it's made in some other country. I bought an air cleaner cover at the local Harley shop about 5 years ago. When I went to mount it I saw the tiny made in China sticker. I look it over real good before buying now days.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Out sourced overseas huh! Just where have you been the last thirty years?

I guess you missed the Showa front and rear suspension from the 80's. The Nissan brakes ( some Brembo now) from Japan. The speedometer and tach.

The carbs. The fuel injection. Improvement there it has changed to Delphi.

What about the tires? The list can go on and on.

I buy from the same world that I live in. I draw the line at that martian stuff though.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-18-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have been more inclined to ignore the made in China tag if not for the very real situation we have with China. They allow hackers and thieves to rip us off every day. they do not care about copyright laws here in this country. Even the program that you are using to type is bootlegged in China. You may think this is just about money, but I think we will be at war with them within 10 years. And they will start it. I read somewhere that if they could transport them they could invade the USA all day and all night at the rate we went into France, FOREVER. We are not doing anything to make this country more secure when we help COMMUNIST RED CHINA.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Rather than blame the unions and workers, the usual scapegoats, put the blame where it really belongs. Blame it on the stock holders. Yeah that's right. You and me and all the other selfish and greedy Americans that demand growth and dividends from our holdings. Ever notice how the stock market goes up every time an increase in unemployment is announced? Cutting expenses by laying off workers is always a good sign to greedy stock holders and CEOs.

The funny thing is that now China and India are complaining about their manufacturing moving to other countries with cheaper labor/manufacturing costs. Tough chit.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
MAGNYS
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freddyttt
hence why unions have sucked this country dry.
Sorry to my brothers and sisters.

bingo!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Seabass67
Intermediate

I picked up my first HD (99 RKC) in January after riding Jap & Euro bikes for the past 27 years. I'll have to say I was somewhat surprised by the "Made in Taiwan" stickers on the switch housings when I was swapping out the handlebars!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex
If you think this subject is a waste of your time why bother reading it or posting?
When Americans worry and care about Americans this is a waste of time short and simple.

This goes from saving jobs to stopping your car and bike before a crosswalk.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Grumpy74
Advanced

Well said txfxstrider.

Quick Reply: Made In America