General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made In America

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Made In America

I went to our local dealer today with my gift card that my kids gave me for Christmas. I spent about twenty minutes trying to find something I liked that was made in the USA. Although I did like the jackets, they were all made in China. The touring section had a number of parts that were from America. But, there did not seem to be any logical pattern for where the stuff was made. I found some nice billet floorboard inserts that were made in the USA. But the ones with a rubber HD insert were made in Taiwan. I will have to admit that you can find more made in USA parts there than you could find in a Walmart, but still I ended up walking out to mull things over before buying. I wish that HD would realize that there are some of us that are really determined not to add anymore Chinese to their bikes. For the price that these things are listed at, you could make good money buiolding them right here in the Good Ol USA.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking at a vest that had a large tag that said DESIGNED IN THE USA.. small tag that said made in china.. I was not fooled.. Thats just the way I am..

Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again...

Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Anything but this, look out for the foxcreek pimps stampede

Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
lol!! nice pic

Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Here we go again...

NOT DISAGREING WITH YOU BUT I AM A VERY STRONG ADVOCATE ON BUYING AMERICAN, AND THINK THIS CAN NOT BE PUSHED MORE. sorry for the capitals.obviosly some things you have no choice but nowdays i do think it is more important than ever.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, we all pretty much know by now that there seems to be some foreign made stuff in this country.

Of course we can always buy stuff here Made In America by illegal aliens, like our houses.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 02-18-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but until the U.S., Canada, and the European Union get their manufacturing costs under control ( which means reductions in the cost of materials AND labor, neither of which anyone in the afore-mentioned countries are willing to do....yet), the Chinese will continue to penetrate these sorts of markets. With the existing standards of living and salary expectations the western world has, we lost the ability to compete with them in any meaningful way years ago.
They have the population, the skill, the factories and the WILL to do whatever it takes to get to the top of the heap...we don't. We talk a good game, though

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even the bikes are not completely made in America. Those same parts you were looking at (like the floorboards made in Taiwan) are for the most part, made somewhere other than America. The bikes are just assembled in America. Just like most American automakers. Assembled in America is different than made in America.

Quick Reply: Made In America