General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket...citation closest to posted speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops get bored too...

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has a little red convertable. I had to run into Dallas one day and didnt have time to google the address so i used her car because it had on-star and we still had 9 free directions on it. On my way back home, im cruising down a 60 mph road, with the cruise set on 62. A state trooper coming towards me flips on his lights and pulls me over. When he walks up to the car and looks in, you could see the disappointment in his face. He thought i was a little hotty. He got my D.L. and just gave me a warning. When i asked him how fast i was going, his response was, a little faster than i should have been. Well not long after my wife bought me a TomTOm for my truck. SO I used it to test her car. I set the cruise to the exact same as i had that day. Car said 62, TomTom said 63. So yeah, he was bored and looking for a cutie, boy did he get a surprise!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I got pulled over for 57 in a 55 once. He chewed my butt for 20 minutes then wrote me a warning for my bumper mounted ball hitch obscuring the license plate.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Been pretty lucky where I live anyway.. Only ticket got in the past 10 years was when doing 80+ in a 60 MPH Zone on the Hwy .. He wrote me up for doing 65 in a 60 quietly accepted and counted my lucky stars .. 20 MPH over the speed limit requires court appearance and a nasty fine ..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 + years ago I was making a run from Great Falls Montana home to Canada on a Yamaha RD 200. Quick little bike on the flat, no torque so hills were a challenge. I hit a stretch in NE Montana where there were a bunch of deep ravines about a mile apart for nearly 20 miles. Flat highway for a mile; deep, steep ravine to build up speed, steep climb out back to the flat.
No other vehicles on the road, and I passed a trooper parked on the side of the road. He waited for a few seconds, decided he'd follow me for a while.
I stayed at the speed limit on the flats, dropped over the edge of the next hill and go WOT to make it up the other side. I'd hit the flats, pretty much back at speed limit, but I was steadily creeping further away from him.
This went on for about 15 miles, and he was nearly a mile and half back; he hit the overheads, roared up to me and cut me off, forcing me to the shoulder. He got out, mad as H**L, and yelled " I don't know what you're doing, but knock it off!!!!!!!!!!!! you're PI***NG me off!!!!!!!!!!"
He got back in his car, blew gravel all over me with a U-turn and went back the way he came. I stood there for 5 minutes laughing before I could move at all. No ticket, but I know he would have given me the max if he could have proved it, and he knew he couldn't

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
what was the closest to posted speed limit for which you've ever gotten a speeding ticket?

I don't think cops like to write tickets within 5 mph of the limit, perhaps because of speedometer accuracy issues (successful challenge in court), or maybe the effort doesn't justify the low revenue. I've had a leo tell me he could write me up for 1 mph over if he felt like it, but I suspect the judge would look at him like the ******** he was.
I was stopped while cruising through a park, speed limit 25 I was doing 30. The officers were working a zero tolerance deal to stop kids from cruising in the park, that was in 88 and I think it cost me $75.

To get certified for Radar an officer is trained to determine the approximate speed of the vehicle before he hits it with the Radar gun. When he testifies in court he can say it appeared the vehicle was exceeding the speed limit and he checked it with radar to confirm his belief. Allowing ten to fifteen over makes it easy to testify that the car was obviously speeding.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any cops who writes anyone up for less than 5 over the limit needs their head examined. Tire wear, speedo inaccuracy, and a few other things can cause anyone to be off a couple miles an hour.

If I was a judge and some cop wasted my time with a 1-4mph ticket I would have the cop locked up for 3-4 hrs for contempt of court just because I can and make him see what a waste of time is really like for the poor soul he ticketed.

Around here 7-8 is about where they start noticing you. Usually you can drive 72, in a 65 right by them and they don't do anything. But in town 25 in a 20 is worse than 70 in a 65. It is more noticeable.

I got a squealing tire ticket 2 weeks after the fact by some *** cop, who never stopped me. Could not prove I was driving the car because he didnt make the stop, wasnt even within 1/4 mile. State atty dismissed that before it hit the court room because his *** gets bitched at for prosecuting bogus stuff too.