Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Silver engine paint problem (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/488644-silver-engine-paint-problem.html)

hommes 03-13-2010 12:47 AM

Silver engine paint problem

I got my '09 dyna out today for a ride and found some bad new on my silver motor paint on the chain case housing.

It must have happened on my last ride about 2 weeks ago. It looks like splash marks that have dried but it has left the paint a dark gray. It is stubborn and nothing seems to even touch it. I've got about 30 dark gray droplet marks. I have used two of harley's products for removing stains and nothing... Nada...nothing even dulls it.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be and what might get it off? TIA.

joesride 03-13-2010 01:23 AM

Try GOO BE GONE, which is a citric based cleaner that i have had good results with.After you apply it, work it in with an old tooth brush,then rinse it off.I do know it removes grease and petroleum based type stains very well.Simple green is another cleaner you may want to try. Good luck.

DinoVelvet 03-13-2010 03:35 AM

wheel acid......but DON'T get it on the aluminum it will turn it white and you will have to polish it out.......chrome and the silver powdercoat on the engine is fine though.

OldMike 03-13-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by hommes (Post 6390607)
Anyone got any ideas what this could be and what might get it off? TIA.

Could be anything, there's lots of crap on the road. Where do you live, does it snow there, do they use salt on the roads?

tmitchellof PG 03-13-2010 09:11 PM

Try spraying a little brake cleaner on it. That's what I use on my silver engine to get oil stains off.
Tom

CroK 03-13-2010 09:35 PM

Silicone spray. It will give the engine a like new appearance...

fizzy55 03-13-2010 11:47 PM

try some citrus hand cleaner and a toothbrush.just rinse it before it dries.won't damage the powdercoat

hommes 03-14-2010 08:41 PM

nothing yet

Thanks for the tips. Nothing has worked yet. The part I am worried about is that the dark gray droplet marks are the same tone as the silver paint...just much darker. It looks like I picked it up while riding because the droplet marks are elongated toward the rear....like a teardrop in a horizontal direction toward the rear of the bike.

Some of you may know the paint...it's sort of light and has a pebble texture. The droplet marks have no texture...just flat.

How tough is that paint? Is it powder coated? I don't want to scrub through the silver paint and make things worse trying to get whatever it is off.

I forgot to mention...it's only on the chain case cover. Nothing on the other side of the bike at all so its not like i rode thru something...

clicker01 03-14-2010 11:47 PM

I have something similar going on, but I never intended it to be a museum piece anyways. Sort of a dark blotch on the top of the primary, between the derby and points covers. (Is it still called a points cover?) Something else to check... Anyway, a good scrub with a dish brush and simple green didn't seem to phase it.