Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bike for the Wife (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/493294-bike-for-the-wife.html)

TEK 679 03-23-2010 03:29 PM

Bike for the Wife

Well the wife wants it bad! A bike that is. I'm not sold on the idea of a Harley right away. She is 5' tall 120lbs even on a 883 low in the showroom she is on her tip toes. The saddle was 28.5'' from the floor. She sat on a Yamadog V star 250 that was 26.75'' from the floor and it was fine and a whole bunch lighter. My question is what did your ladies start out on?? I know I can get a lowering kit on the 883 I'm worried about the 600lbs.

Help?

kmealp 03-23-2010 04:23 PM

My wife had a honda rebel and could not stand it. I wanted her to get a dyna but she loved the 883 low, so she got one. she is about the same size as your wife, maybe 3" taller. she did not like the feel of the lighter bike on the road, it blew around to much the sporty is great.

Havic08 03-23-2010 04:35 PM

My wife learned on the V-star 650. She is only 5'4 but to start with it was the perfect bike. Alot better than the 250 she rode in class.

I would look for a used one and let her ride for while on it. My wife now rides a softail heritage that we lowered an 1inch front/rear and with good boots she is ok.

If height is still a problem, look at the fat boy lo, very low seat and if she does not like the paint jobs get a custom color. :icon_mrgreen::icon_bike:

Personally, I do think starting small for a little bit is good. Talking to the local guys, this guy bought his wife a new fully decked out softail just after she finished the class. Then went on a long ride on the highway. She crashed coming off the off-ramp.

Good luck.

Scout 03-23-2010 04:48 PM

The 883 low already has the lowering kit on it, that's why it's called "low". Did she sit on a Deluxe? It's very low, and wider than a 883L, but I find many short stature people like how it feels better than the Sporty. (Yeah, I sold Harleys at a couple of dealers)

I'd get the Yamaha for her, it's a good starter, and the best thing about them is that there is always someone who wants a starter who will buy it in a minute when she is done with it.

Lifelong Biker 03-23-2010 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My girl bought a Ridley! I can't get her off it! She loves the thing!

IndyClassic 03-23-2010 04:52 PM

Wifes first was an 86 Honda Shadow, weight was OK but the rake on those made it hard for her to handle. Currently she is on the Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic and handles that 725 lb'er like a champ. She can handle the RKC now also after riding these last 4 years so upgrade to her own RKC, SG or RG is in the future.

Point is it wasn't the weight of the Shadow but the set-up vs the VStar. The VStar just "fit." The 250's while not intimidating at all is going to be outgrown very fast IMO. Keep shopping and trying different ones out in the showroom. What about the new "48", i wonder what it's seat height is?

jiimyc 03-23-2010 05:16 PM

my x started on a 450 honda with an 8" over front end. i told her this wasn't a good idea but she insisted. her first day and lesson she hit a tree about 6 '' at the trunk.
bent those long tubes real good. so we got stock tubes and my budy and i redid it
for her. the weight and handling were just right fro her to get used to a the size of a bigger bike and engine size gave her an appreciation for the power of a motorcycle.

jiimyc 03-23-2010 05:17 PM

start on something similar and then move up.

hollowpoint 03-23-2010 05:20 PM

My daughter is 5' & < 110# & has a Rebel.
She wanted a Harley Davidson, but knew she had to learn to ride first.
In 5 months the little bike taught her the basics while she learned about the clutch on a hill in traffic, tumbled in our driveway & slid out of a sandy intersection.
Nugget bought it w/ 1,000 miles on it for $1,000 from a woman who just learned to ride, & she will soon sell it for $1,000 w/ 2,000 miles.

WWECOUGAR 03-23-2010 05:22 PM

I'd get something cheap enough that if she doesn't like it you will have no problem getting your money back. The little Viragos and Rebels are fine. Sportster a bit top heavy. Chances are that if she takes to riding any of the above options are not going to satisfy her so either way you are getting another bike. Either way you loose nothing. My $.02