General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM's Vs Lugging the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RPM's Vs Lugging the engine

I have a 2004 Dyna lowrider with 4600 miles, I have put the last 2000 on the bike. My question is, as I am accelerating through the gears what would you suggest the max RPM be before shifting to a higher gear. Also on normal driving what would be the RPM range where you would be potentially lugging the engine. I am just like everyone else and I shift more with feel and my ears but I am just curious if anyone can tell me what RPM's to avoid to get maximum wear out of the engine.
Thanks,

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't know about your dyna but on the sporty i shift between 4 and 5K, i don't let the RPM's go below 3K if I can help it, anything below 2500 is lugging on my bike. as for max rpm's if my front wheel is off the ground i've hit it.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya, 2500 is your low end & I usually shift at 35 or 4 grand unless Im passing quickly, than I will give er snot, But Im a cruiser kinda guy!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a tach? Our bikes run out of steam long before the redline but they do have rev limiters. Anything over 5 grand and you're waisting your fuel unless you've had your engine built. Lugging is just when the engine is in the wrong (high) gear at too low rpms, you can just tell you better down shift into a lower gear. Lugging will definitely shorten your engine life if you make a habit of it.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barjbar
What's a tach? Our bikes run out of steam long before the redline but they do have rev limiters. Anything over 5 grand and you're waisting your fuel unless you've had your engine built. Lugging is just when the engine is in the wrong (high) gear at too low rpms, you can just tell you better down shift into a lower gear. Lugging will definitely shorten your engine life if you make a habit of it.
Ditto. No tach on my bike, but don't "need" one either. Err on the upper side of the rpm scale. Lugging your engine will cause an early demise.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what am i missing here? Are you all on sportsters? I shift my Evo Glide riding normal say in town at 2500 tops. Usually do not let it go under 1750 without dropping a gear. I can feel the lug at 1300-1400, anything above that seems fine. On the other end when I feel like running I shift about 5000rpm max.
I do not see the point going any higher. I feel more pull if I shift at 5000 and get into second gear quicker, than if I let her go any further. I dont feel like it is building any more power after 5000. BUT
I have a fireball 310 cam, S&S carb, Screaming Eagle ignition module. Something about running into and shifting in the red gives me the eebie geebies.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
what am i missing here? Are you all on sportsters? I shift my Evo Glide riding normal say in town at 2500 tops. Usually do not let it go under 1750 without dropping a gear. I can feel the lug at 1300-1400, anything above that seems fine. On the other end when I feel like running I shift about 5000rpm max.
I do not see the point going any higher. I feel more pull if I shift at 5000 and get into second gear quicker, than if I let her go any further. I dont feel like it is building any more power after 5000. BUT
I have a fireball 310 cam, S&S carb, Screaming Eagle ignition module. Something about running into and shifting in the red gives me the eebie geebies.
Same here on my Deuce SE 1550 kit, with Mikini carb, SE ignition ...If I shift around 1800 I have zero clunk just a smooth shift (one benefit of a tach) I will cruise around 2500 and gear up or down accordingly...If I **** at 5000 I would be exceeding the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I completely agree with your style; same here. As far as lugging goes, it's part of why I have a HARLEY - she thinks my tractor's sexy. OTOH, it's a matter of how much throttle you're using. ******* it hard at 1700 will have to cause a certain amount of piston slap; that's a bad thing. But easing thru the gears in town has long been the legacy of the hogs.
For what it's worth, go by the feel of things, and stay away from hard chugging, piston slap, and fouled plugs. Balance out your riding with engine-cleaning revs here and there to keep her versatile.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Piston slap? WTF? Its a Evo not a Chevy Vortec. I have never heard this noise on a Harley. Us 5 speed guys are either just over the point of lugging, or going 2500 rpm in town. There is no happy medium at times.....The 6 speed guys got it made!

Not to mention running around at 30mph using the same amount of fuel as if you were going 55 is not very efficient. This week I noticed I get absolute **** for mileage running 2500 in town. Im talking like 30 mpg overall at best. Shifted and dont go under 1800 ish, no lug, better fuel economy. Not dont get me wrong this all depends on your sprockets- gear ratios....your bike may lug at 1800, hell I dunno about yours.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Same here on my Deuce SE 1550 kit, with Mikini carb, SE ignition ...If I shift around 1800 I have zero clunk just a smooth shift (one benefit of a tach) I will cruise around 2500 and gear up or down accordingly...If I **** at 5000 I would be exceeding the speed limit.
What was the benefit of a tach... so you know when to shift? And who said anything about clunking, must'a been a different post. You **** @ 5000?

Quick Reply: RPM's Vs Lugging the engine