General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight & Passing Light cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
DeluxeCruiser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight & Passing Light cleaning questions

My 07 Deluxe headlight and passing light glass is pretty cloudy. The cloudyness is inside the light or on the backside of the glass. Are the lights sealed on the front in some way or will I be able to remove the trim rings and glass in order to clean them.

In addition what causes the inside of the glass to take on the haze or cloudy attributes. I really hate that they look cloudy or dirty and want to know how hard it will be for me to be able to clean them.

Thanks for any insight.

DC

Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you positive it's on the inside? A lot of older cars get that on the outside, and there is stuff you can buy at parts stores to make them look new.

If it is on the inside, remove the trim rings. If they are sealed beams, you're screwed. Just buy new ones. If they are not, the glass should come off and would be easy to clean.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
DeluxeCruiser
Tourer

Danny

Being that the bike is garage kept and only 3 years old I am pretty certain it is all on the inside of the glass. If it is on the outside I will certainly need something more powerful that washing and windexing of the lenses.

DC

Old 04-01-2010, 02:30 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine are the same way...its on the inside.

Paul in Colorado

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine too-- Gets worse if I ride in a very heavy rain. It's almost like a very light smoke/fog on the back of the reflector, but it doesn't seem to affect the lighting too badly.

Harley, of course, says it's normal when I asked them about it.

The only way to clean them is to pull the bulbs and work some kind of gizmo-duster-thingy around the backside of the reflector by going through the bulb hole...

Yes, it sounds as ridiculous as it really is..no I didn't try it, I just deal with it.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

[Harley, of course, says it's normal when I asked them about it.]

Yup...exactly what they told me. Someday I am going to try to clean them up...maybe.

Paul in Colorado

Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
DeluxeCruiser
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Mine too-- Gets worse if I ride in a very heavy rain. It's almost like a very light smoke/fog on the back of the reflector, but it doesn't seem to affect the lighting too badly.

Harley, of course, says it's normal when I asked them about it.

The only way to clean them is to pull the bulbs and work some kind of gizmo-duster-thingy around the backside of the reflector by going through the bulb hole...

Yes, it sounds as ridiculous as it really is..no I didn't try it, I just deal with it.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works.

Cujo

My problem is actually on the glass rather than on the reflector housing part of the headlight assembly. If I remember correctly my chrome or reflector part of the assembly is still very clean and shiney it is just the glass lens that is cloudy or dirty.

I am wondering if the bulbs may get too hot for the enclosed housing and that is what is causing the problem. I still have the factory bulbs in them so I am assuming that it is caused more from possible condensation within the headlight assembly. Whatever the cause I want to get it clean and cleared up because it looks like hell when you look at my bike.

DC

Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM
skooba
Cruiser

Take the housing apart and clean it. Use window cleaner. Fill it with a couple of ounces, put some cotton ***** in it and swish it around for 5 minutes or so. Pull the cottona ***** out and let it dry.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by skooba
Take the housing apart and clean it. Use window cleaner. Fill it with a couple of ounces, put some cotton ***** in it and swish it around for 5 minutes or so. Pull the cottona ***** out and let it dry.
Thats what I do with an exception. I use an air hose from my air comp. to get most of the water out. Then air dry for a while just to make sure there dry. I use 37.5w xenon bulbs in the passing lamps and they cloud up every year.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Yeppers....... ben that way almost since new... of course dealer said that normal.......
don't seem to bother the amount of light they put out,,, I just ignore it...
If U try to clean them and then miss up the chrome reflective in the light U'll ruin them....

Quick Reply: Headlight & Passing Light cleaning questions