General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
NYBill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating Question

Hello all,
I've purchased a new tank and tins for my ride and want to powder coat them instead of a paint job. I am really liking this copper vein coating: http://www.ohiocustomcoatings.com/se...NY-VEIN/Detail

Has anyone had any luck or bad experiences with powder coating? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 PM
gjantzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that copper vein is no harder to powder coat than a solid color. my advice? hire a professional to do the work. what most people overlook with powder coating is the pre treatment that is required before applying the powder. For steel, an iron phosphate cleaner is supposed to be used. I have done quite a bit of powder coating of my own stuff and never used the pre cleaners. products come out pretty good anyways.

a bigger problem is in the blasting and prep. if you sandblast using a silica sand you MUST pre bake the part before applying the powder coat. Then apply the powder and rebake. Sands will leave a fine residue on the metal....this residue will "jump" off of the metal once it is heated. This can cause problems in the powder coat finish. Baking before applying the powder allows the sand to "jump" off the metal as a secondary prep process. The professional powder coaters often use a nickel-sand blasting agent. The nickel is pretreated to thousands of degrees so there will be no "jumping" off the metal during the baking process.

Powder coating is much easier to do than painting......in my opinion. If you have a good oven and prep right, you should be good to go. If you choose to take this on please post pics. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
NYBill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info, and the great avatar, grin.
I'll call a couple local powder coating shops and see if they'll let me supply my own powder. I'm thinking the copper vein should look sharp. I also picked up a dark tan leather seat from Larosa; should go well together.

Once it's all done I throw up the pics.

Thanks again,
Bill

Originally Posted by gjantzer
that copper vein is no harder to powder coat than a solid color. my advice? hire a professional to do the work. what most people overlook with powder coating is the pre treatment that is required before applying the powder. For steel, an iron phosphate cleaner is supposed to be used. I have done quite a bit of powder coating of my own stuff and never used the pre cleaners. products come out pretty good anyways.

a bigger problem is in the blasting and prep. if you sandblast using a silica sand you MUST pre bake the part before applying the powder coat. Then apply the powder and rebake. Sands will leave a fine residue on the metal....this residue will "jump" off of the metal once it is heated. This can cause problems in the powder coat finish. Baking before applying the powder allows the sand to "jump" off the metal as a secondary prep process. The professional powder coaters often use a nickel-sand blasting agent. The nickel is pretreated to thousands of degrees so there will be no "jumping" off the metal during the baking process.

Powder coating is much easier to do than painting......in my opinion. If you have a good oven and prep right, you should be good to go. If you choose to take this on please post pics. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:18 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

we have coated a set of tins in that exact color!!! look great! $500 and we will coat yours man!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM
gjantzer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make it $350 for a forum member?