Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Horn switch location is dangerous (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/501051-horn-switch-location-is-dangerous.html)

rabbi 04-10-2010 06:00 AM

Horn switch location is dangerous

I learned a long time ago HD do not understand ergonomics. Why on Earth do HD place the horn switch on top of the switch block????
In an emergency the last thing you are going to do is take your thumb from its deathgrip around the bar & wave it around the top of the switchgear - losing your grip on the bar at the same time - trying to find the horn button. What usually happens is I dodge the idiot & bellow at them, which is a waste of time.
Does anyone know of a switch block for a Harley that has the horn button where it is -AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK WHERE YOUR THUMB ACTUALLY IS????
Almost every other motorcycle on the planet can work out this simple thing, why not Harley???

hollowpoint 04-10-2010 06:26 AM

I agree. The roar of the engine is quicker, safer & louder.

dog155 04-10-2010 06:32 AM

It's all about getting used to where it is.The more you ride the easier it gets.

96roadking 04-10-2010 06:37 AM

I dunno, it never bothered me. I had air horns on my Sporty and they got used plenty! There's nothing quite like the look on a soccer moms' face when she thinks a truck is about to roll over her and her freaking cell phone! priceless!

shortride 04-10-2010 06:42 AM

Never heard this one before. I always thought the location of the horn switch was right where it should be. I only wish my fingers were longer. I also like the symmetric arrangement where there are the same number of switches on both sides of the handlebars. When I was riding nothing but Goldwings, the turn signal switch is on the left side only along with a huge pod on the left side that had all of the cb radio and auto control switches and buttons.

The only thing I can think of that Harley could do a better job of, is having better sealed switches and a membrane under the buttons to keep the elements out.

schumacher 04-10-2010 07:22 AM

I've never gotten used to where it is either after all these years

SaltyHawg 04-10-2010 07:30 AM

Doesn't bother me. I do like the way Harley does the turn signals. How about putting the horn switch in the left hand grip? Just roll the grip a little to honk the horn. Just don't forget which grip side the horn is on!

Uncle Scrooge 04-10-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by schumacher (Post 6546324)
I've never gotten used to where it is either after all these years

Same here. Maybe if I used it more.

Nikon D700 04-10-2010 07:34 AM

There's a horn? Never used it........lol

frenchbiker 04-10-2010 07:41 AM

I'd rather have the high beam/low beam switch closer to the grip than the horn. I use it much more often.
I had a bigger problem with the turnsignal switches cause I have short fingers and I had to move my hands along the grips to reach them. I added the switch extensions from Kury and it solved the problem.