General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jimbo's last ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jimbo's last ride

Well we buried one of my best friends yesterday. He died in a wreck Saturday afternoon while we were out on a ride. His sister in law wrote this letter and I thought I would share it with all of you. I found it touching.

Jimbo's Last Ride
Today I was fortunate enough to witness a celebration of life and a show of respect at the funeral of Jimbo Travens. Jimbo had developed a great love of riding motorcycles, and during his last ride, it was evident that the love was reciprocated. Jimbo was driven in a glass hearse, pulled by a Harley Davidson. The funeral procession must have been a mile long. I know that from my vantage point toward the front of the procession, I was never able to see the back. There were Harley Davidson’s as far as the eye could see.

People stopped what they were doing, not only in their passing cars, but also in their lawns, in front of businesses, to witness this incredible site. But those people only got to see the long line of motorcycles, I got to see more.

I was able to see the outpouring of love and support for the Travens family. Though I’ve never been a biker, I’ve always heard that they are a close-knit group. That is an understatement. The love for Jimbo was palpable. These wonderful people with colorful nicknames sewn onto their clothing had so much love to give to Jimbo’s family. The Harley’s revved their engines in unison, and their sentiments were apparent.

The Travens family has an incredible support system of bikers, and even though I’m still certain that motorcycle riding is not for me, I have a deep respect for this group of people that should be called an extended family, rather than a circle of friends.

For Jimbo, I don’t worry. I know that he is in a better place, and will be waiting to be with his Afton again. I am so very grateful that Afton, Jimmy and Cassie have this huge group of people to lift them up, to cry with them, and to look after them. Life is precious folks, let your loved ones know how you feel, and enjoy each day with them. Tomorrow is not a promise.

Tracey Thompson Pruett

Attached Thumbnails Jimbo's last ride-26245_114789335205596_100000235901100_205603_4900105_n.jpg  

Last edited by Traceman; 04-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My condolences to the family of the fallen rider! What a stylin' last ride for a man! What was the cause of the accident of your friend?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Sorry for your loss...........................Very nice letter!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very touching indeed .. sorry for your loss.. may his soul rest in eternal peace

Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rest in Peace Jimbo.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser

I witnessed the same thing one year ago today. I had never thought about riding until the funeral of my step sons father. It changed my life. Two weeks after the funeral I stopped by a Harley dealership out of the blue and bought my first motorcycle. I had never even sat on one.

I now ride and think of my friend every time I'm out.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a nice last ride, but suck it had to be the last. That was a very nice letter and it is impressive how bikers stick together. Sorry for the loss of your friend-I know how it feels.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Prayers and condolences go out to all who knew Jimbo.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
My condolences to the family of the fallen rider! What a stylin' last ride for a man! What was the cause of the accident of your friend?
He took an on ramp way too fast and hit a guard rail. He was trying to get back with the pack. Just another reason to always make sure everyone is together and ready before leaving out.

He was a great friend and loved by many. I think we probably had a couple hundred bikes in the procession. It was huge!

Just remember...Think safe, Ride Safe, and make it Home Safe. There are a lot of people who are going to be hurt deeply if you don't.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Prayers to the family and friends. RIP Jimbo.

Quick Reply: Jimbo's last ride