General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Genuine Fuel Additive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
zjhanson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Genuine Fuel Additive?

Hey guys I've seen this at the harley shops for a long time now and never put much thought into it but after reading around abit I've heard several guys say good things about it. It has Duralt in it which is supposed to be good at extending gas mileage or something, it also says it can raise octane of gasoline by 3 or 4 points so I don't know if this means that it would be like 87.3 octane or what mabye does it mean that it will turn 87 into 91 rating?

Currently I always use 92 octane gasoline but do any of you guys use this additive with regular 87 gas to raise the rating or should it be used with the already high 92 octane gas?

I've been using sta-bil for a number of years now and just recently I began using lucas fuel injector cleaner in my truck with excellent results also in the bike just now curious about the harley version. thanks for any advice or input

P.S. Is there anything that Harley-Gloss dosen't do well, I swear this is the most amazing general purpose cleaner that i've ever used even works wonders on my lexan windshield. H-D deserves some respect for making such a great product!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I use Techron or redline SI-1 fuel systems cleaner.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

It don't make much sense to use regular gas, then add an additive to raise the octane rating when you could just run high test. It would be easier to get and you wouldn't have to buy, then add the stuff. Also I've heard to raise octane ratings 5 points, you need alot of additive.,,

Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
otlawpan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill make this short. Dont waste your money with additives or octane boosters, just use good premium gas and be done with it. If you want higher octane gas buy racing gas and mix with regular or premium, octane boosters dont do danything but empty your pocketbook and peel your paint.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I keep a vial of the stuff for the times when traveling when you can't find premium gas.
I've used it a couple of times, and it seems to work at preventing knock when forced to run low octane gas.

In my T150 Triumph, (requiring 97 octane) I used to add something called Octane 106 Boost. That crap coated the cylinders and plugs with an orange deposit, but it also worked.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-29-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Always use the Premo fuel & add a bit of Seafoam for freshness. Hasn't failed me yet...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by zjhanson
Hey guys I've seen this at the harley shops for a long time now and never put much thought into it but after reading around abit I've heard several guys say good things about it. It has Duralt in it which is supposed to be good at extending gas mileage or something, it also says it can raise octane of gasoline by 3 or 4 points so I don't know if this means that it would be like 87.3 octane or what mabye does it mean that it will turn 87 into 91 rating?
It means it will raise 87 octane to 87.3. A point in this case is 1/10.

Stay with higher octane, Brand Name gas (they all have cleaner additives), and forget the snake oil.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zjhanson
It has Duralt in it which is supposed to be good at extending gas mileage or something, it also says it can raise octane of gasoline by 3 or 4 points so I don't know if this means that it would be like 87.3 octane or what mabye does it mean that it will turn 87 into 91 rating?
You were right the first time (e.g., takes 87 to 87.3). That's too little to make any difference if you end up with low octane in the tank, and no benefit with normal fuel in a stock motor.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Seems weird that my manual say's not to add anything then go to a dealership and they sell stuff to do it..

Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried one bottle of the Harley stuff. Couldn't see it made any difference.

Quick Reply: Harley Genuine Fuel Additive?