General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Super Glide - 3K and the rear hub is howling like a banshee

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:09 PM
mr xr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the rear wheel off the ground, and spin it to check if the bearings feel rough or something else is rubbing. If not, then it is likely a belt noise.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could there be to much slop in the bearings themselves between the bearign races and the bearign surface? never seen bearigns go out that fast on anything besides my 4x4 ands only because of what i do to it in the bush.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the deflection is correct, try lubing the sides of the belt with paraffin wax. Every so often I will notice a slight chirp or whine from my belt. Hit it with a quick dose of wax and am good to go.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
if the deflection is correct, try lubing the sides of the belt with paraffin wax. Every so often I will notice a slight chirp or whine from my belt. Hit it with a quick dose of wax and am good to go.
You know, I'm reading things about Harley belt dressing, alignment, and dust on the belt causing these noise problems. The belt does ride against the left side of the pulley, but has done so from the beginning. I figured alignment was good because she tracks great.

I'll give your parafin suggestion a try tomorrow. Maybe I've unfairly maligned the noble beast. I do love the bike, and how she handles.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a superglide that howls after about 1/2 hr also..
It's the front brake on mine. I have heard the back ones do it for some also. Step on your brake next time and see if it quits.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,863 Likes on 8,236 Posts

You know, I heard Honda makes a good parafin, Or was it Yamaha???? j/k I hope it works for you. That would beat a trip to the dealer.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the belt riding in the center of the rear pulley? If it's off to one side too much you need to straighten the rear wheel.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
I have a superglide that howls after about 1/2 hr also..
It's the front brake on mine. I have heard the back ones do it for some also. Step on your brake next time and see if it quits.
It's the rear, and I tried the rear brake, and it didn't make a difference. I had a rear bearing go out on another bike, and one thing I could feel before bearing failure was vibration through the rear brake (that, and the OL bitchin that something was wrong with the back end of that bike 'cause she could feel vibration through her passenger footpegs....but I can't feel nothing on the SG (other than the general HD engine thumping).

I even got her (the bike, not the OL) up to speed in a big empty parking lot, put her in neutral, and switched off the engine...and it's definitely coming from the rear hub/pulley area.

I'm new to Harley's, but not new to motorcycles....I guess I'm just gonna have to learn their little tricks. I'm well acqainted with motorcycle brake problems (clunking, pads not retracting....but this is a new one on me....maybe because this is the first bike I've ever had with a belt....it's all been shaft drives and chains for me.

Next you're gonna be telling me that it's important to use belt dressing derived from the hide of old metric riders to quiet my belt drive!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GMbagger
Is the belt riding in the center of the rear pulley? If it's off to one side too much you need to straighten the rear wheel.
It's only lightly touching the left side of the pulley, but I'll realign the wheel (and retension the belt). Very easy to do....everything is right out there on a SG. Alignment pin holes on the swing arm are easily accessible.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Rear bearing failed in my '08 at 14k.
I felt it happening through my pegs (a grinding sensation sometimes) plus the ocassional 'chirp'.
When the indy pulled the rear tire off the belt side bearing was in pieces.....

Quick Reply: 2010 Super Glide - 3K and the rear hub is howling like a banshee