General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ottawa Hills police officer GUILTY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

the police do a good job,but this was an overeaction,causing a young man to never walk again,in this situation the fearing for my life defence angers me,clearly not the case!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

a horrible situation...

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always supportive of police officers, I'm in the middle of the application process for FHP right now. That being said, this guy deserves a lot more than 11 yrs, he shot an unarmed man in the back for christssake. I hope his fellow prisoners have fun with him.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 AM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defense attorneys make me want to puke. It "may not matter" that the Officer was wrong but it dam* sure matters to the guy that's going to stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. The guy wasn't even a regular Policeman but a part time cop probably just itching to shoot some poor SOB, regular John Wayne there...

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 AM
scarpetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by nathanw
I'm always supportive of police officers, I'm in the middle of the application process for FHP right now. That being said, this guy deserves a lot more than 11 yrs, he shot an unarmed man in the back for christssake. I hope his fellow prisoners have fun with him.
+1, couldn't agree more

Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

This "LEO" slipped through the cracks in the system. He should have NEVER been a LEO in the first place. The "System" that put him in that position is also guilty. ...A no win situation for ALL involved.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been a cop for 30+ years, and didn't see one damn thing in that video to warrant the officer to unholster his pistol, much less shoot the guy.

Yes, it goes back to training, and the mind-set of the officer involved too. I've seen too many officers in my carreer that the only time they take their pistol out of the holster is when they have to do the once a year qualification. No initiative on their own to do extra practice. Minimal training gets you minimal officers.

I saw a FBI study done years ago on officer involved shootings that found:

1. The officers who trained more, and became better shots, were involved in way fewer shootings than the once a year guys.

2. The officers who trained more were involved in way fewer BAD shootings. (Getting scared for no or little reason and shooting before it's warranted is BAD.)

3. The officers who trained more, when they had to shoot, were more accurate.

It goes back to training. The department and the officer BOTH failed the public in this case.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good verdict.

I wonder if there will be a civil suit.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
MikeDCop
Tourer

Originally Posted by paud
good verdict.

I wonder if there will be a civil suit.

You betcha.

Even in a righteous shoot the officer and the department get sued.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in fear of my life is used too many times to justify situations that should not happen. Now a victim is paralyzed and tax payers most likely will be footing several bills for this incidence. Sometimes hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys. I don't back the badge--I back the man wearing the badge. I have no use or tolerance for unprofessional behavior and actions...I just watched the dashboard tape---pissed me off. Good thing I wasn't on that jury. Eleven years as the max penalty is not enough.

Last edited by oldairboater; 05-15-2010 at 11:26 AM.