Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Ottawa Hills police officer GUILTY!!!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/515420-ottawa-hills-police-officer-guilty.html)

cantankerouscarl 05-15-2010 03:56 PM

guess i'm going to have to get some patches and put on a kevlar vest & start wearing that while riding, what happened to this person is not something i even thought about while riding, makes me very nervous, getting crazy out there boys & girls, puts a new meaning to the phrase watch your back, i respect law enforcement & what they do, but this was just plain wrong.

AThousandHurricanes 05-15-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cantankerouscarl (Post 6719027)
guess i'm going to have to get some patches and put on a kevlar vest & start wearing that while riding, what happened to this person is not something i even thought about while riding, makes me very nervous, getting crazy out there boys & girls, puts a new meaning to the phrase watch your back, i respect law enforcement & what they do, but this was just plain wrong.

Maybe that is a new fad Kurt Sutter can start!

Good on Justice being (partially) served...11 years is far too few, although 11 years in general population for a cop is probably a bit more "dramatic" than the 11 years that you or I would see. ;)

brutalbrad 05-15-2010 11:55 PM

This is where profiling comes into play. this cop felt that there was going to be a shot out with a some harley bikers before the traffic infraction even happened. Just a really really shitty situation. it is something that everyone wishes it could be reversed.

sucherman 05-16-2010 12:34 AM

Wrong...Worrysome...Woeful...

BLKBAGGER 05-16-2010 01:25 AM

I have a lot of LEOs in my family and respect LEOs in general. That guy should have never made the cut. I have had a gun pulled on me twice by LEOs both times right in front of my own home. Both times right after i pulled up to my home to go in the house. The first time was after I was speeding a little on the way home from work. I get out at the same time he pulled up behind me and I get his gun in my face. telling me of all things to get back in the car. WTF? The second time was after a drunken neighbor called the police telling them that I was shooting at him. He must have been real drunk. None the less my local PD showed up with guns pulled on me. Im in a T-shirt and blue jeans completely unarmed hands in the air. You got to wonder about some of these guys.

Jack the Smack 05-16-2010 03:56 AM

Police officers serving and protecting the American public

http://i42.tinypic.com/jfzp1y.jpg

God bless them. :icon_patriot:

harleyriv 05-16-2010 05:49 AM

The right verdict..

tlb 05-16-2010 08:16 AM

I agree, the cop had watched to many gangland shows. I think he truly perceived a threat because he already judged the rider as a criminal.
After 20 years in the army, I believe that is high stress situations training is paramount. He cop did not follow his training, which caused a tragedy to occur.
I got pulled over in a felony stop, when I was 22, because they thought I had stolen my pickup. It was just like on TV, very clear direction, I immediately knew it was more serious than a traffic stop. As soon as I was able to get out of the truck and asked if I could help them with something, they realized I was not the guy they were looking for.
My point, had the cop followed his training, the rider would of reacted correctly, gotten a citation or whatever he had coming, and would walked into the courtroom.

Originally Posted by brutalbrad (Post 6720846)
This is where profiling comes into play. this cop felt that there was going to be a shot out with a some harley bikers before the traffic infraction even happened. Just a really really shitty situation. it is something that everyone wishes it could be reversed.

MattInFla 05-16-2010 08:29 AM

Watching the tape, I'm stil not convinced the officer intended to shoot him. To me, it looks more like a negligent discharge, and then he panicked and claimed he was in fear for his life rather than admit he screwed up and negligently shot the guy.

And now, he's stuck with that story and he's riding it right into a jail cell.

Matt

Phil K 05-16-2010 08:31 AM

I know this will rub a lot of people here the wrong way..but i think cops are getting out of hand. I know a few...and they constantly talk about getting a chance for a little "stick time"...and point out people they would "love to teach a lesson". They also drink and drive. Just watch the current You tube video of the Swat team breaking down the door of a guy with a young kid and wife..shooting his 2 dogs in front of the child..and terrorizing the family over an incorrect tip on drugs. A year ago in Tiffin Ohio..just up the road..an officer shot a woman holding a baby during another botched drug raid..and blew the babies hand off...killing the mother. Too many cops with a superiority complex..and in the job for the wrong reasons. Sad thing is..they usually get suspended with pay..and then reinstated. Makes me sick to think these people are here to "Protect and Serve".