General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honeymoon in Sturgis...

Old 08-20-2006, 01:59 AM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honeymoon in Sturgis...

Well, I am back. I got married on saturday 8/5/06 and left for Sturgis, SD from San Antonio, Texas the next day. Here is the account of my journey.

we started out on Sunday, 8/6/06 at 6:30 am. We loaded up the bike and headed 730 miles north to Lamar, Co on the 06 Street Bob.

After Lamar we went to Denver to visit a friend for the second night.

Finally we made it into Sturgis on 8/8/06 and camped out at the Rush-no-More campground. It was a blast! And the following day we made it up to Rushmore

The next night was Kid Rock at the Chip.

I got some bike builder's pics
Rick Fairless:

Billy Lane:

Arlen Ness:

Roland Sands:

After Sturgis we went through WY, UT and into the grand canyon. Along the way the bike started to crap out on me. It was spettering and maxing out at 35 mph. When you are in the middle of UT with no Harley dealers open on a Sunday, you are screwed. We sputtered into Grand Canyon HD in Bellemont, AZ on early Monday moring with a crappy bike and a pissed off groom and bride. they really took care of us there and we got a rental Electa Glide Custom and were on the way to the Grand Canyon for the night. The next day we got the bob back. The new injectors were never installed properly and were broken. they had to clear all the historical codes, reprogram the stage 1 and install a new injector. they said the oter injector, since it was broke, was messing up the O2 sensor and causing the bioke to crap out.

Then it was down through Phoenix on a great running bob and ito New Mexico. We stopped in White Sands for a bit:

All the wile I needed a new tire for the bike. I had 10K on the bike when we entered Tucson, AZ and stopped a the HD dealer there. I told them I was on the rode and in desperate need of a tire. I was running legal limit. They laughed at me and told me they did not care if i was on the rode or not, it would be two weeks before they would fix it. That pissed me off, so I went to All American Motorcyles in Tucson and they bent over backwards to try and change the tire. No luck. The Axel was frozen up to the bearings and they could no hit it out. They told me that the axel would need to be cut and i would be stuck for a few days in AZ. That was no good, so I went on my way. When i left there, I called Champion HD in Roswell NM and told them of the axel problem. the checked with service and assued me they could fix it even if it needed to be cut. Not surprisingly, when i got to Roswell, NM they did not have a spare axel and could not help me out on Friday, even though i called them on Tuesday. They said they would have to order the axel and I would be stuck until Wed of next week. What a bunch of *** holes.

We hobbled along on a worn tire to FT Davis, TX where we stayed last night.

And continued home today to find a slick tire and a 1" crack in the middle of the tire, just waiting to blow on us after a 4,300 mile trip.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:12 AM
MasterRye
Advanced
Default RE: 4,300 miles and back from Sturgis...

Wow, First congrates on marriage! Glad you had such a awesome time. Was the street bob a rental too? If not what happened to that baby?

Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 AM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser

The bob is not a rental, I have had it since 9/22/05 and it now sits in my garage with a slick tire waiting for the 180 mm conversion kit from Zanotti and for the axel to be cut out and a new on installed by the local HD dealer..

Old 08-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Congrats, but, that's effed up, man! I'm glad you made it back safely.

Whiff

Old 08-20-2006, 03:07 AM
stubby
Road Captain

Many congratulations on you wedding. Here is to many good stories to tell your children and grandchildren about your honeymoon.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Bluerose

Congrats on the wedding...hope you have many happy years.
Sorry to hear about your problems with your tire...that really sucks.

My Bro-in-law is trailering back. Had his bike serviced and a new tranny put in before he left and had problems on the way home....your lucky you made it safe!