Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   anyone ever use exhaust cones?????????????? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/527095-anyone-ever-use-exhaust-cones.html)

haudfan 06-14-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Samson_info (Post 6860125)
Torque cones help a lot with free flowing exhaust to help increase the velocity in the exhaust pipe. Tests have shown using Samson torque cones which are different than others by use of what has been known as an affect that help squeeze the exhaust flow evenly and expelled evenly will increase your torque by 3-5 foot pounds of torque on any engine. This may not be felt by seat of the pants riding but the numbers sure do show on dyno runs. Please be advised the Torque Cones from Samson are a trademark name referring to our CNC machined 300 series stainless steel Torque Cones. Not just a tube that has been stamped to restrict flow. Ours is the one that actually give the best results.
thank you,
JR

I have Big Guns 3 on my 08 FXDSE2 and am interested in taking out the baffles. If i can stand the loudness can the baffels be reinstalled.Would you run cones with baffles still in

Samson_info 06-15-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by haudfan (Post 6860618)
I have Big Guns 3 on my 08 FXDSE2 and am interested in taking out the baffles. If i can stand the loudness can the baffels be reinstalled.Would you run cones with baffles still in

if it was my bike i would run baffles and cones for best performance. your low end and mid range will be at its best with this combination.
thank you,
JR

haudfan 06-15-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Samson_info (Post 6865133)
if it was my bike i would run baffles and cones for best performance. your low end and mid range will be at its best with this combination.
thank you,
JR

Thanks

bord3r 06-16-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen (Post 6860259)
Do'nt worry about your slip ons with a loud sound. I am actually working on a mechanical system to be fitted inside the open straight tail end of the slip on which can be adjusted before your ride with a hexagon inner key. Changing stepless from the rumble, just loud enough to hear that you ride a Harley till the screaming breast trembling roar of open exhausts. So you can choose for expect less than 480 US per pair. Easily to be mounted by yourself..Testing at this moment, sound level checks in several positions of the mechanism. Soon I will bring these on the market..

umm those are called electric cut outs but you are making manual add in's ?????

bikerlaw 06-17-2010 12:08 AM

Just for the record, I installed my drag pipes today as well as the torque cones. I couldn't be happier. I asked both of the techs at my local shop and they said and it doesn't make a lick of difference if your carbed or fuel injected. They help allot. With me, to the point that the bike actually runs better than it did with the stock exhaust with punched out baffles. Popping and backfiring is reduced as well. Bikes just a whole lot louder.

Quadancer 06-17-2010 07:23 AM

I never believed that the FI could make up for a poor backpressure; it can only control fuel mix.
Now just don't wake up the citizens or we'll all end up riding with stock pipes.

jluvs2ride 06-17-2010 08:07 AM

This from Pipe Dreamz

People think straight pipes make
more horsepower. WRONG!

They are under the false impression that if the engine breathes better and gets rid of the unwanted exhaust fumes faster, they will go faster . . . Credit goes to Jerry Branch, the genius of Flowmetrics to understand how back pressure is needed to scavenge the unburned portion of fuel back into the
combustion chamber to create more horsepower.

IT REALLY WORKS!

PROBLEM: Harley riders & custom exhaust pipe manufacturers like PIPE DREAMZ, want the clean, cool looks and hot sound of straight pipes.

SOLUTION: Torque cones, (power cones, torque valves) a small 2” funnel style venturi valve that provides the correct back pressure by creating a tube constricted in the middle and flared on the end. This operates on the principle that the exhaust velocity will increase and it’s back pressure decreases when passing through the torque valve. At low speeds, the taper in the valve increases back pressure resulting in increased low RPM power and torque. At high speeds, the venturi effect created by the torque valve increases exhaust gas velocity. This maximizes engine power by increasing the rate at which the exhaust gases are drawn from the exhaust ports. *

*SIMPLER EXPLANATION: Picture your garden hose in your driveway WITHOUT a nozzle, and the water turned on full blast. As you can see, the water does come out at a strong steady stream.

Now, picture the same water hose with a spray nozzle attached (Venturi Valve). Watch the water blast out with 3 times the pressure! Same exact principal with your exhaust! The average Sportster or Dyna exhaust exits the cylinder in a cyclone circle, hugging the inside of the pipe and reverberating back and forth, up and down the exhaust pipe 6 to 12 times BEFORE EXITING! This clogs the system and actually slows your bike!

jluvs2ride 06-17-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Samson_info (Post 6865133)
thank you,
JR

Torque cones work best on straight pipes w/out baffles. If you already have baffles, they add backpressure and disrupt the reversion wave. Why would you add torque cones and more backpressure????

bikerlaw 06-17-2010 09:01 AM

Yes, I now totally agree with you. As I mentioned earlier, I just installed a set of drags on my evo. I installed the torque cones and went for a ride. I then installed lollipops. At first I thought I liked it better. But I took them back out and in a couple more times, since it takes maybe 10 seconds and some burnt fingertips. I even tried them at different angles. Like flat, 45ish degrees and so forth. After a bunch of tests, I am now convinced you are exactly correct. Torque cones is all you "need". Now if johnny law, the neighbors or vehicle testing is an issue, then by all means, run the baffles with the cones. But as far as performance, operation, backfiring, decel pops....I am gonna stick with just the cones. At least for now.

Quadancer 06-17-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride (Post 6874713)
Torque cones work best on straight pipes w/out baffles. If you already have baffles, they add backpressure and disrupt the reversion wave. Why would you add torque cones and more backpressure????

There are baffles and there are baffles. Not all equal, and Flowmetrics is a very complicated science. Best thing is to experiment and find where your power is. Erring on the quiet side is usually going to do better, and also keep us from extra legislation due to brain-dead hammerhanders.