General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are DMV Tests Unrealistic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Are DMV Tests Unrealistic?

Don't know if this has been discussed before but I was reading another thread about the figure 8 included in the Ohio riding test. First off, what good is the test if you ride a Harley and borrow a 250 Rebel to take the test on? I cannot recall one instance in my years of riding when I needed to do a figure 8 in a small space or do a cone weave. So what if you have to put a foot down now and again? The alternative is falling over. I took the advanced rider MSF class and enjoyed learning to do the slow turns , friction zone, etc. But when taking an actual licensing test why not have more realistic, day to day situations. Can you turn right and left from a stop sign? Can you do a panic stop? Can you avoid or successfully run over an obstacle? Wet down a portion of the paving to see if you can handle starting and stopping in a rainy situation. I can understand a motor officer needing more finely honed skills but for the average rider it seems the tests are not very well designed.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand what you are saying. On the other hand I know parents who own big SUV's and their kids take the DMV test in a small 2 door, although they will be driving the SUV.
I think it boils down the the LCD = lowest common denominator.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
txhdguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just to teach you a right hand and left hand u turn.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer

I don't think the tests are hard enough. Look at all the tards getting motorcycle licenses dying cause of stupid ****.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

In California the road test is almost impossible with a "long bike."

Back in '75 I rented a Honda 350 to do it on . . .

Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
marc3565
Novice

In Ontario Canada I had to do 2 tests as part of the graduated incensing system there.

Step 1: You write a written test. Then you get an M1 license with these restrictions
  • your blood alcohol level must be zero;
  • you must ride only during daylight hours (1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset);
  • you must not ride on highways with speed limits of more than 80 km/h except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, 655;
  • you cannot carry passengers.
Then you have to wait 60 days but not more then 90 days to do a basic road test where they watch you do a few basic things. <EDIT: link to info on 1st test http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=109264>
Then you get a M2 license with the only restriction being
your blood alcohol level must be zero.
You have the M2 for 22 months then you take an extended road test. You wear an earpiece and an examiner follows you around while he has you do quite a few things and scores you. <EDIT: Link to info on 2nd test http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1127&highlight=m2+exit+road+test>

You can shorten some of the times by taking registered courses.

Last edited by marc3565; 06-15-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
softail04
Road Master

took my oregon test many moons ago on a honda trail 90 borrowed from the local dealer because i was riding a chopped 49 pan with apes .. the test at that time was ride around the block and if you came back you were good to go.
took my cal. test on a borrowed 450 honda as I was riding a chopped something at the time but aced the test.. now i have tried to do the test after hours on my harley and at my age and riding experience i can not get it around with out a foot down now and then. after I get some experience riding maybe i'll try it for real

Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

NY Road test is 2 circles to the left, 2 circles to the right, 2 figure 8s and then onto the road. i did it on a Honda nighthawk 250, did it perfect.. I can do whatever i did on the 250 on my harley. maybe due to the fact when i wasnt riding the 250 at the MSF course, i was off riding my harley.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took my test in California on a Harley. The only tricky part for me was the not putting your foot down when riding at the pace of the tester walking. I think the test are set up for control. If you can pass that test, then they feel you have enough control to ride the streets. But agree there isn't any real emphasis on real street riding. I went to the Island of Rorotonga and there you had to ride along side a cop just to get a moped license.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paud
I understand what you are saying. On the other hand I know parents who own big SUV's and their kids take the DMV test in a small 2 door, although they will be driving the SUV.
I think it boils down the the LCD = lowest common denominator.
LOL. in 1989 I went to take my test in a VW rabbit. The emergency brake didn't work, so they wouldn't let me use the car. I had to take my parents 1984 suburban for the test (parallel parking was intimidating to a 16 y/o). But the rabbit was the car I was driving most.

Quick Reply: Are DMV Tests Unrealistic?