General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools needed for DIY maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Springer Boy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
May i be the first to suggest the Harley Belt Tension tool and the rear wheel alignment tool(ol ladys coat hangar with one end bent). Pretty much need those.
Please tell me more about these tools (or a website link) When adjusting the belt tension I am always worried about wheel alignment. I do it by eye, but that is hit-and-miss.

Cheers

KC

Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
TxJiminy
Novice

Try this weblink, http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Although not harley specific there's still a bunch of useful stuff you can use.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chicagosong
Looking for a basic list of must get's for anyone planning on doing their own basic maintenance. Looking at fix my hog to start familiarizing myself with my bike's components and while there isn't enough time in the day to go to a class or school to learn from the pro's, I always prefer DIY. Looked up and down for a must have list but couldn't find one. . Thanks.
Must have loc-tite,duct tape, and bailing wire!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Springer Boy
Intermediate

Another tool worth considering if you are going to do your own servicing is the Scavenger total oil change system. I just received mine and used it for the first time today. In a nutshell, what it does is ensure that there is no old oil left in the engine to contaminate the new oil. It works as advertised, and it is easy to use.

See: http://www.roguechopper.com/

Cheers

KC

Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
1320go
Cruiser
Smile torx plus

When buying torx bits for yor Harley be sure and get torx plus bits.They fit a lot better and could save you some problems down the road.Also be aware some bolts are metric.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Hex-Pro and Star-Pro kits have worked well for me so far.

http://www.wsdistributors.com/

Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Aside from good hand tools and a lift, I find the following indispensable:

A mechanic's stool. I have a Craftsman one with wheels and a tool tray underneath. Not very expensive and a great way to sit and work around your bike while being mobile at the same time.

A flat top tool cart with wheels. I have one made of pvc pipes with a plastic tray and a drawer. This allows me to set an array of tools and products that I use and I can wheel it around my bike to keep things in reach as apposed to having to walk over to a stationary tool box or work bench.

An air compressor. This does not have to be huge or expensive. I have a craftsman 33 gal 1.6 HP that is all electric. Although I do not use air tools on my bike, I use it to keep my tires properly inflated and for such things as blowing certain parts clean or dry.

Some old but good bath towels or other type of cushy cloth that you can use to cover your tins.

Shop towels.
Brake cleaner.
Dielectric grease (for your electrical connections and light sockets).
White thread sealer for your fluid plugs.
Anti seize.
Loctite Blue (Have some red handy also but you will use it very infrequently as it is much harder to remove).
Zip ties.
Bungie chords.
Wire brushes (for cleaning off threads on drain plugs, spark plugs, etc).
Lots of old rags for cleaning up oil and grease.
Drain pan Small enough to fit under your bike.
Some old detergent or similar type of jugs with good spill proof lids to take used oils to recycle.
Oil funnels.
Magnetic tray for holding nuts and bolts.
Paper and pencil to make notes on more complicated tasks so I can remember how to put it all back together!

Most of all PATIENCE!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the first thing a DIY needs to invest in is one of these

followed by one of these
*buy one for your bike model specificly*

then one of these

or if you got the coin one of these

some more of this

this

and this

theres more but thats dependent on how DIY you are
thigns like adjustable wrenchs, jb weld *quick, regular, waterproof, and fuel cell varietys*, various gauges of electrical wire, solder, shrink wrap, multi meter, angle grinder, welding stuff, bench grinder, air tools*ratchet,impact,chisil, etc* HVLP paint gun, sand blaster, air dryer, metal lathe/mill, drill press, heat gun, polishing gear.

oil tray, torque wrench, it all depends on how much of a DIY you are. the only things i dont have are the fancy welders, lathe/mill, and sandblasting stuff, but its coming

Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

Watch Sears for huge sales - Craftsman tools guaranteed forever. You can score their best mechanics set - everything from A-Z for $600.00 (Metric or SAE). Lesser sets far less, but that is the most bang for the buck! All four of my H-D's are SAE.

Picking up the specialty tools from H-D pays for itself by missing 1000 mile check up! Listed in your service manual. If you plan on doing electrical stuff, a good meter is the jumping off point.

You also need to tighten nuts/bolts check fluids, etc. BETWEEN service intervals.

Pick up a supply of the common bolts and keep it organized. Same way with the O Rings for the fluid changes. Nothing like having the bike apart and not having the necessary part and everything closed: see cold beer below.

Patience is a virtue and a cold beer to celebrate afterward is icing on cake!

Enjoy the adventure!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master

i started out with a 100 piece tool set from sears. from there i've just bought tools along the way that i needed for a particular job. i have a decent collection now. some odd things i've bought are swivel adapter(3/8 and 1/4 drive), 12" extension(3/8 and 1/4 drives), files, allen wrench and torx bit sets in 3/8 drive, wire strippers and butt connectors. it all just depends on what job i'm doing.

Quick Reply: Tools needed for DIY maintenance