General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come more bikers don't wear Doc Martins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Hellcat1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come more bikers don't wear Doc Martins?

I'm just wondering because i've been ridin with them for years, but I've only met one other guy who does the same. I've tried on Durango, Harley Davidson, Red Wings, Milwaukee's, and my cowboy boots are Ariats..but i've never found a more comfortable boot to ride in then a pair of steel toe Doc's, and I've been wearing the same pair for 9 years. Is it because the 80's punk and 90's grunge scene or skinheads ruined the reputation of the boot with the "bouncing sole?" It's a great boot..hell, they were made famous by british cops wearin em'. Is it cause they have laces, or are only engineer and harness boots allowed to ride a HD? Anybody on here wear 'em?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

B'cause they're pretty gay lookin.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Hellcat1
Advanced

What's gay about a pair of black steel toes...the yellow stitching? You can actually buy them with black stitching, but personally I don't give a ****.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with oldenuf on this one, but if you don't give a **** why'd you ask???

Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Agin, they're about as gay as you can git. Does the image of the Village people come up. Buy a real pair of boots Dude. Redwings, Danners,Wolverines. ETC ETC.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is probably because that Doc Martins are made in China now, not knowing this I ordered a pair for work about 2 years ago, and it was a surprise, I still wear them (since work pay for them) but when it come time to get more I will find an American made boot.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah I wear Docs,not steel toe caps tho......dunno about the gay thing,thats a new one...over here they are still linked with skinhead/football hooligans and yeah the coppers wear them as well......Only thing I have against them Is they are not In the least waterproof,feet are soaked In seconds.
FFS!..are they made In China now??.....thats me changing boot makers,I want summat that go higher up the shin and are waterproof(I know Docs do some that go further up the shin,but they are gay looking! )

Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 AM
jstew
Cruiser

I look at them every once in a while. I just can't get past the fact that they were the boot of choice for the skinheads when I was a kid. I've never owned a pair and probably never will due to that stigma.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:54 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much what Tommo said. I used to wear them - steel caps and was proud to wear a British made boot but then they became fashionable and had lots of stupid designs and colours and I stopped thinking of them as proper gear. Also got fed up with having to put carrier bags in them to keep my feet dry if it was wet. - probably less of an issue in Nevada but here in the UK keeping dry is a major consideration

Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Sinistre
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a pair years ago (probably during the punk era) think they were made in New Zealand. Although the they were well made the leather was poor quality. Didn't bother with them again. I have H-D boots at present. Good quality and good leather but made in China.

Quick Reply: How come more bikers don't wear Doc Martins?