General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come more bikers don't wear Doc Martins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Certain types of DM are still made in the UK - I have several pairs of their shoes as they are very comfortable for walking and the loafers have not metal and therefore work well through airports.

Altberg (another UK company) make supreme motorcycle boots but they are to order and version similar to Docs can be had along with more traditional motorcycle boots. The police use them and they are 100% waterproof, I have this pair http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle_HoggAWMicro.jsp

Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 AM
Hellcat1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn. Well, I tell ya what. I was surprised when Ariat came out with a motorcycle boot because they're known for cowboy boots. But sayin that, I hope that Dr. Martin comes out with a slip on motorcycle boot cause gay or skinhead or punk or what...them soles will always be comfortable as ****!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a pair.........in the '80s. I was a teenager.

Fashion comments aside, I just don't think they're durable enough for motorcycle use. Maybe good for *walking*. I'd rather have a stiffer sole for riding.

Ariat makes MC boots? Didn't know that. I've got a couple pair of Ariats which are awesome. Better "real world" boots than my beloved Justins (though, for a straight up, pegged leather sole boot--Justins can't be beat) For quality an durability, I'd *seriously* look at those Ariat MC boots. Doc Martens can't come close.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Been riding in a pair of DM's for about 10 years, not sure how a pair of black boots could be gay, maybe it's cause they don't have HD plastered all over them

Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I like Docs, but they don't fit my feet right. I am also dissapointed that they are now made in China. I read recently that Triumphs sold outside the UK are now made in Thailand. I liked Triumphs until I read that. Everything is being made in Asia these days and I try not to support that. I know everyone says its a world economy now. All I say to that is: How is that working out for you these days?

For now, I'll ride my 6 year old NT with my 13 year old pair of Danners.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 06-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

'Cause they're ugly, way too heavy, and just look stupid. And they sell 'em in kiddie stores in the freakin' mall!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Oiltop Pirate
Road Captain

I'll tell ya right now brotha, I wear Dr. Martin ALL the time! I don't give a ***** who wore em' in the past, present, or future! I like them just fine. I do wonder what makes "some" folks on this thread an authority or so knowledgeable about gay apparel though?!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one pair of black and one bear of brown that I alternate between for work. Since I ride to work 95% of the time, I guess they are my favorite riding shoes. Most comfortable shoes/boots that I have. I too wish they were water proof. Do I care if they are made in China???? well I wish they were Brit produced... You need to look around your house and under your hood on your vehicle...parts come from frickin everywhere anymore. Skinhead...did not know this tidbit of "history"?...

Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

I wear em all the time too. I have had doc's that have lasted 5 yrs on the jobsite! and that's sayin something! I have doc's that I have had for 15 yrs. and still wear em. I have had them in all colors blue, black, brown, silver....call me a punk if you will. I have been called much worse by much better people! lol
BTW... do you all really pay that much attention to what other people are wearing ON THEIR FEET! Damn, I guess I gotta start paying more attention, I have no dea what kind of boots my friends wear!

BTW havent bought a pair since they started making them in China! It seems they are cut different and don't fit right.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

I wear them as well, but I wouldn't consider them to be great motorcycle boots, and I have never noticed what's on peoples feet .

Quick Reply: How come more bikers don't wear Doc Martins?