General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Course and Insurance... Interesting observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

My wife and I both took the course ($20 that we could have gotten back after passing).
Dropped our rate (3 bikes combined) by $5/year. I was expecting to save about $20/yr on each bike.
We enjoyed the class, learned or relearned some things.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not think the discount was that great . I only saved 10% about 18 dollars a year. I have taken motorcycle courses in the past . I think my dealer charges about $300.00 for the msf class. At that rate it would take about 16 years to recoup my cost. I do believe the courses are worth the money regardless of the insurance discount.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Johnny Dangerously
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
The thing about lying to the insurance company is if you were involved in a accident, they would probably deny your claim if they found out that you provided them with inaccurate information.
Bingo! Then all the "savings" would be lost since the Ins Co would not have to pay the claim.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser

Don't get me wrong, again, I highly recommend taking it. I was just shocked that they didn't ask for any proof. I had spent about 30 minutes scanning and getting ready to fax or snail mail everything they would need. But, nope... nothing. I called, she gave me $20 bucks off my next bill; and it went down about $10 bucks per year or month or whatever it is... (the course was $150 bucks).

Best 5 minutes I've ever spent on the phone with any company :-D

Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turn8a
I did not think the discount was that great . I only saved 10% about 18 dollars a year. I have taken motorcycle courses in the past . I think my dealer charges about $300.00 for the msf class. At that rate it would take about 16 years to recoup my cost. I do believe the courses are worth the money regardless of the insurance discount.
My insurance company only gives the course discount for up to 3 years, you would have to keep taking it to keep getting the discount. It doesn't seem worth it to me if its only to save money since you'd pay more than you'd save. I do think the course would be worth taking though, could save your life.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took the course and let them know i passed it, no change in the price of my policy...so much for a discount.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's best to ask your insurance agent whether or not a safety discount applies. I'm with Progressive and get a discount. I DID have to send a copy of my completion card. I have also heard the various ins co's have different policies regarding how long they accept the certificate/card before it's necessary to re-take a class. I think a couple years is about average.

Because I carry high limits and have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage...the 10% discount almost pays for any class I might take. (my policy is $$$!!) Also, if you are a HOG member, after you complete a class, you can fill out a form and send it in and get a $50 card to use at any Dealer. This can be done 1x per year & must be done withing 3 months of taking the class. BUT, you must be a HOG member before you take the class. A nice little perk. I took an $80 skilled rider's course and pretty much got "paid" to take it with the ins discount and the $50 from HOG.

Last edited by monstead; 07-28-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 PM
harley_rob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by monstead
It's best to ask your insurance agent whether or not a safety discount applies. I'm with Progressive and get a discount. I DID have to send a copy of my completion card. I have also heard the various ins co's have different policies regarding how long they accept the certificate/card before it's necessary to re-take a class. I think a couple years is about average.

Because I carry high limits and have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage...the 10% discount almost pays for any class I might take. (my policy is $$$!!) Also, if you are a HOG member, after you complete a class, you can fill out a form and send it in and get a $50 card to use at any Dealer. This can be done 1x per year. BUT, you must be a HOG member before you take the class. A nice little perk. I took an $80 skilled rider's course and pretty much got "paid" to take it with the ins discount and the $50 from HOG.

Awesome, you may have just hooked me up with $50 bucks! Going to hog site now to check into it.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
The thing about lying to the insurance company is if you were involved in a accident, they would probably deny your claim if they found out that you provided them with inaccurate information.
Your agent is supposed to keep a copy of the certificate in your file but most of them don't.
While I am not suggesting you lie they can not deny your claim because of that. What they could do is calculate the discount that you received and reduce your claim payout by that ammount. I am an insurance agent but I have never seen them do that.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley_rob
Awesome, you may have just hooked me up with $50 bucks! Going to hog site now to check into it.
Glad I could help!

I'm working towards becoming an MSF Instructor (should be done in October after the "school") and have found the Rider's Edge Instructors usually tell the students, but the State course Instructors (MSF) usually don't. Last class I aided, a state class, there were a few H-D people and they Instructors were happy to pass along the info. I plan on telling my students. Every little bit helps!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Course and Insurance... Interesting observation