Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Electrical Problems. Help. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/546191-electrical-problems-help.html)

Cyclemedic69 08-02-2010 07:59 PM

Electrical Problems. Help.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I’m at my wits and need some help. I have a 2006 Electra Glide Standard and keep blowing a fuse labeled “Accessories 15 amp”. This fuse controls the turn signals, the break light, the speedometer, the tachometer. The first time this happened was a couple months ago. I simply replaced the fuse and had no further problems. It happened again, today, I replaced the fuse and immediately upon turning the ignition on the fuse popped. I went thru two more 15 amp fuse before I stopped.

I have checked under the rear wheel for perhaps a wire that had come loose and frayed against the tire but all looks well under there. I have a Harley Chrome LED taillight attached, but have been running that with no problems so far. I disconnected it just in case that was the problem, but this did not solve the issue. I unscrewed the OEM taillight and checked all the connections. Nothing seemed hot or smelled burnt. All the connections looked fine. Under the seat also looked fine.

Am I doomed to take this to the dealership and have them rape me for a few hundred to find the short or am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

tombeving 08-02-2010 08:11 PM

Let the hunt begin. If you don't want to take it to the dealer, start by the process of elimination. Unplug everything that goes to the accessories fuse. Turn your ignition on and start connecting your accessories back on until you find which one is blowing the fuses. Once you know which one is causing the problem, it's just a matter of chasing wires.

Other Sheep 08-02-2010 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by tombeving (Post 7090091)
Let the hunt begin. If you don't want to take it to the dealer, start by the process of elimination. Unplug everything that goes to the accessories fuse. Turn your ignition on and start connecting your accessories back on until you find which one is blowing the fuses. Once you know which one is causing the problem, it's just a matter of chasing wires.

You're going to put electrical shops out of business with advice like that.

kkiley 08-03-2010 12:12 AM

That is the simplest and best answer I have seen in a long time for an electrical issue. Get your manual out, follow the accessory flow chart, you'll find your issue.

baronga 08-03-2010 08:16 AM

I had the same issue with my bike over the weekend. It turned out to be the "Priority Lite" module. Cut it out of the loop and no more fuse popping. Only took about 10 fuses to find it. :icon_frown:

glideridemike 08-03-2010 08:20 AM

You need to take your questions to the tech area concerning electrical gremlins.

rh8234 08-03-2010 09:59 AM

Best advice I can give - Look in the place(s) you last worked! If you have had the switch houusings off any time in the recent past, look for a pinched wire under the housings. If you have relocated turn signals, look there. Usually the problem you describe is the result of a dead short in a wire and most times it is something you (or someone else) has worked on lately. Been there and done that. When you find toe problem, please post what you found so others can benifit! Good Luck.

Cyclemedic69 08-03-2010 11:33 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. I will be investigating today and will report back with any success (or failure most likely). Sorry Glideridmike for posting to the wrong section of the forums. I was just looking for some quick adivce.

Thanks again to all,
Bob

Cyclemedic69 08-03-2010 11:58 AM

Baronga, where can i gind this "Priority Lite" module?

Grammaton 08-03-2010 12:11 PM

Replace the fuse with a lower rated breaker (like 5a) and look for smoke. Seriously.
This is how I have always found shorts that weren't immediately visible. You should be able to find the wire that's heating up and it will lead you to the short.

Make sure to use a lower rated breaker or you'll possibly burn something before you find it and resets will take longer. With a lower rated breaker resets happen faster.