Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Indy can't fix my bike? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/547453-indy-cant-fix-my-bike.html)

paulhog 08-05-2010 09:48 PM

Indy can't fix my bike?

I know this guy knows what he's doing. He's been in the business a long time and I trust him.

No power, oil light comes on at lower rpm, and the engine run HOT. Primary seals and clutch cable were replaced for leaks. That's where everything went to the dogs. Ended up replacing cam tensioners with the SAS gear conversion kit and the oil pump ($$$). Indy rode it for 10 or 12 miles and called me to say it's ready and running great! I put 3 miles on it... ran like SH!T! No power... like someone is holding the brakes while I'm hittin' the throttle. This is round 3. Most expensive oil leak I've ever had! Putting a diagnostic tester on it tomorrow. Could this be just a bad sensor??

wideglidebob 08-05-2010 09:51 PM

thats why you take it to a dealer

asm481 08-05-2010 09:55 PM

Oil sumping? Didn't get the oil pump aligned right.

soft 02 08-05-2010 10:00 PM

If I were you I would cut open my oil filter on the first oil change since the problems just to be safe. Good luck.

RandyDowdy 08-05-2010 10:01 PM

Except for the oil light, it sounds like the timing is retarded badly. That will make one be weak and run hot. Hard to diagnose over the net though.......

Good luck.

user 8373900 08-05-2010 10:33 PM

My money is on the oil pump alignment also. The condition is called "wet sumping" and causes loss of power.

Mark

Wrench53 08-06-2010 02:18 AM

Pull the plug on the case, 4-6 oz is about norm, more an its wet sumping.

NoBoldRider 08-06-2010 10:49 AM

Two different probable causes have been mentioned, wet sumping and timing. Both of these could be caused by the cam change, sumping due to oil pump alignment and timing due to cam alignment. I would have someone else check the work that was done.

FBRR 08-06-2010 11:10 AM

I agree with the others, your "problems" are directly related to the "fixes."
Camgears and oil pump!
I don't think I would trust this guy with a dog biscut!

He gave it back to you and said it was running "GREAT?" And he rode it 12 miles with an oil light on!!!????!!

RoadKingRon1 08-06-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider (Post 7107038)
Two different probable causes have been mentioned, wet sumping and timing. Both of these could be caused by the cam change, sumping due to oil pump alignment and timing due to cam alignment. I would have someone else check the work that was done.

+1 ^^^^^This^^^^

How is it starting? Turner over easy or loping or spinning too fast. These can be symptoms of a timing problem.

If spinning over as normal, probably a wet sump problem. Not always but a generality which I have used for years.

Best of luck to ya but I would take it somewhere else. Round 3? You have given him ample opportunity to fix it.