General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 6 speed harley transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Roadbandit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil Wide Glide
I have a 2006 Wide Glide that I bought in January 2014- the first year for the 6 speed in the Dynas.

The bike had 14k miles on it. The rear main bearing failed. HD replaced it and I was only charged a $100 admin fee.

I can't imagine another company that would pay to replace a transmission on an 8 year old bike.
You must have a silver tongue, I couldn't even get a break on the cost of a IDS for my 07 RKC, this bike was so load I was embarrassed to ride the thing

Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default haha, yup, sorry I have heard the stories of Detroit.

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Ever heard of city called Detroit?
Seems we may have a few around here if I were to look hard enough.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Buzz7
4th Gear
Unhappy Bearing failure

Just got home last night from Rolling Thunder in D.C. 750 mile ride, anyway couple hundred miles into the ride the tranny started howling. Didn't affect the performance but I did have to turn the radio up! Once I pulled into the garage, the bike dropped all the tranny fluid (Belray). 71K on an 07 FLHTC. Changed the tranny and primary fluid with every oil change (4 thousand miles). Tension on the belt is just a hair loose. I ride the bike hard, I take care of it but I do ride fast and hard. Tranny has always made noise. No matter what fluid I run in it, it always sounded like my Ma's old junk mixer. Now it could be a factory defect but at 71K, I think it would have failed earlier. BTW, I read a lot of postings but it has been 3 years since my last post. How is everyone?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzz7
Just got home last night from Rolling Thunder in D.C. 750 mile ride, anyway couple hundred miles into the ride the tranny started howling. Didn't affect the performance but I did have to turn the radio up! Once I pulled into the garage, the bike dropped all the tranny fluid (Belray). 71K on an 07 FLHTC. Changed the tranny and primary fluid with every oil change (4 thousand miles). Tension on the belt is just a hair loose. I ride the bike hard, I take care of it but I do ride fast and hard. Tranny has always made noise. No matter what fluid I run in it, it always sounded like my Ma's old junk mixer. Now it could be a factory defect but at 71K, I think it would have failed earlier. BTW, I read a lot of postings but it has been 3 years since my last post. How is everyone?
When my 08 was howling the mainshaft and other bearing had went out.
Dealer ordered all new bearings and replaced them.
They said make sure you use a belt deflection gauge and check your drive belt all the time.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Strudy68
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50k and no probs so far...Im just taking my belt off not going to run one now...lmao

Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 AM
hankhd
2nd Gear
Default 2007 6 speed counter shaft

Trans noise started 500 miles ago. Last ride, progressively loader 2nd upto 5th, no noise in 6th. Extensive experience with Muncie 4 Trans in the day! To this point have replaced 2 output shaft bearings, and compensator. Will tear down tomorrow. Total miles 60k. Expect to find failure of needle bearing on counter shaft. Metal on drain plug, side door bearings look fine. More in come!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Die old thread! Die!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

this thread is still on here because HD transmissions and still inferior and are still failing. they are getting better but they haven't got it right just yet.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
this thread is still on here because HD transmissions and still inferior and are still failing. they are getting better but they haven't got it right just yet.
Agree 100%. Some guys just don't have that many miles on their bikes. Back in 07 when my comp failed and I called them a piece of crap everyone thought I was nuts. Their time will come.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 PM
hankhd
2nd Gear
Default transmission noise 2007 flhtcu suspect counter shaft needle bearing.

BEARING that failured was the Main drive gear double ball bearing. Outside half saw toast possibly due road salt contamination! Gear collar under that half was rusty. Inside bearing half was fine. Noise in 5th but not in 6th was possibly due to side torque from counter shaft, where as in 6th the primary chain and drive belt tensions cancelled each other out.

Quick Reply: another 6 speed harley transmission failure