General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rider's Edge Class got cancelled! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Rider's Edge Class got cancelled! WTF!

I got a call from the dealer I was supposed to take the class at starting this Thursday (I already paid in full!) saying the instructor can't make it because of work! Now I have to wait until September 16th-19th!

My whole plan was to take the class, get the license....buy the bike! Now the whole plan is thrown off almost a month!

There is just no easier way to get the M class in the Chicago area!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that it's "allowed" but I bought my first bike having never sat one one...buddy rode it to my house, and I practiced in the neighborhood until I could go to DMV and pass the test (road and written)

it can be done "the old fashioned way" if needed. I'd still suggest going through the MSF though, I took that years later and learned several things that I had been doing incorrectly

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks to lose a month of riding season... but, **** happens. Most of the Rider's Edge/MSF guys have day jobs unless they are retired. I'm sure no one is paying their mortgage by teaching MSF classes.

I know you must be chomping at the bit though. Hang in there.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, call the dealer and tell them to give you class for free and you will buy the bike from them.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I may be mistaken, but as far as I understand the Rider's Edge course offered through Harley-Davidson dealerships is not the same thing as the course(s) offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

(Obviously they cover the same topics, etc., but they are two different entities...)

Still, both courses accomplish the same thing in terms of you being able to get the Motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.

Why don't you check with MSF in your area to see whether there may be a course offered sooner than your dealer's Rider's Edge course? Seeing as you intend to buy a bike from them, they will likely work with you on the cost of the course you've already paid - or put it towards your payment on the bike.

Worth checking into, I'd think:
http://www.msf-usa.org/

Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I would support MSF way before I support Rider's Edge.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the MSF course and it was a great experience.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to DMV and get a permit

Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stuff happends i would still go ahead and buy bike, i did, here if you get pulled over without lic, they write you a fix it or loose it than you fix it, i actually got pulled over and just happended to have my application that was three months out, and he congradulated me for signing up and let me go and just said go home if i see you again you better have endorcement and pass the class

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the permit....and all of the MSF classes are booked...there are stand-by in mid October!

I have my choice narrowed down to the birch white and vivid black softail deluxe or the vivid black fatboy lo. I was going to get the license this monday and test ride them both...and then pick! I may go put $500 on one of them and just let it sit at the dealer until Sept. 20th and then test ride it....although I'm verrrrrry impatient now!

Quick Reply: My Rider's Edge Class got cancelled! WTF!