General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two new scoots in the garage..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default two new scoots in the garage..

As of last Friday, there are two new Harley's livin' in our garage.. the first one is a 2011 883 Superlow, that belongs to my lovely child bride. The short story is, after taking one for a test ride.. she fell in love with it. To her, the superlow fixes everything she didn't like about her '07 883 low. The superlow has a bigger tank that rides lower on the frame, it has more travel in the rear.. a newly designed seat, flatter handlebars, and a smaller, wider front tire than her old bike. My wife is short.. barely 5 feet tall, and we looked hard at putting her on a deluxe. We tried a reach seat and talked about maybe lowering the suspension but.. in the end she just wasn't happy or comfortable with either of those so... she tried the superlow and like I said, fell in love with it. And to be perfectly honest, I think that based on her riding skill, and the difference in comfort and confidence she has between the superlow and the deluxe, I feel like she made the right choice. Her bike is vivid black and we added a quick detach windshield and engine guards. Yesterday was her first real run on the new bike. We rode down to the jersey shore and cruised through the pine barrens.. ending up at 215 miles for the day.. not a huge ride per say, but not a quick bar hop either. I guess the real bottom line is.. she rode great, and had a terrific time. And, although she won't openly admit it, I'm pretty sure she enjoyed attention she and that new superlow got at one from a couple guys of our rest stops..

The second bike... is a 2011 XR1200X and obviously, that's my new toy. I ride an '09 ultra. And I've been looking for second bike.. something I can ride to work, take out on day rides and just go have fun on. And obviously, I wanted something different from my ultra. Now, I have no false image in my head of going out and running with any of the current crop of sport bikes.. liter bikes, 600's whatever.. But what I do have in my mind.. and what I've been doing, is going out and having a blast with this thing. No, it's not a "sport bike" but yes, it will wheelie, and yes, it turns pretty well too. I know from previous threads the XR isn't everyone's favorite harley.. I'm pretty sure alot of folks on here wouldn't ever think of buying one... and that's cool, to each his own. All I know is, so far, I'm having a great time with it and to be honest, the XR is surpassing my intended purpose.. This is a truly fun bike to ride.. and as much as I love my ultra.. there will be days "the pearl" stays home while I"m out having fun on "darth maul"..

I'll try to get some pictures up here shortly.. We're going out for the weekend.. riding down through Maryland and Virgina.. so it'll probably be monday or tuesday of next week. Yesterday would have been the perfect day to get my wife and the Superlow but of course.. mr wizard forgot a camera.. Anyway.. I guess you gotta love the smell of new bikes coolin' off in the garage after a full day of ridin'..

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 08-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

congrats...and yep, i bet the xr1200 is a blast!!!!!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what the hell is sr1200 a yamaha or honda suzuki ?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Ouroboros
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man I want an XR real bad. In orange of course. Have fun.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Weakened Warrior
Tourer

That's cool. So, are you taking the new bikes out for the weekend ride?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
ky1bnusmc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

Enjoy the new rides. I have room in my garage for another bike but not the money at this time.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Exactly how big was the lottery you won ? - Ride safe this weekend.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats to you and your "child bride". I think I may be jealous, on more than one level!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

still don`t know what the hell he is talking about, is it a new harley starter bike i thought he was talking about a sport bike

Quick Reply: two new scoots in the garage..