General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time wife rides, first time idiot pulls out in front...Keep tire locked up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Sounds like a good idea, if you are thinking these things up in the living room. Let off the rear as it comes around on an actual motorcycle and you're going off the high side. Seems like bad advice to me.
I didn't think this up in my living room... I lived it, as told by the link I included (that you for some reason skipped in your quote).
I agree that letting off the rear brake after the rear end has gone around too far can cause the bike snap up. All I was saying is you should do everything possible to prevent the rear end from coming around in the first place.
Once the rear end comes around more than maybe 45 degrees even you avoid whatever caused the emergency situation, chances are your going to lay down the bike.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you lock up the front get off it quickly, if you lock up the rear stay on it or you will go down.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

anti-lock brakes modulate the brakes to prevent lock up and is extremely helpful on wet and dirty surfaces. it is about impossible for a person to brake release brake etc as quickly as abs. abs are great, but not a cure all. a very expierienced rider or pro racer will come close. msf teaches if front wheel locks, release immediately and reapply. if you lock the rear, ride it out or you will most likely highside it. if you were lucky enough to not get ejected after locking the rear and releasing...outstanding. probably just as important is to not get "target fixation". even if you threasehold brake to stop from colliding into something, but your looking at it, youll proly gonna hit it. its very hard to do, but as was mentioned ealier, practice looking for points of escape. and practice emergency stops. to the op, glad your ok....prayers for your wifes speedy recovery

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Not wanting to get off subject...
My best wishes for your wifes speedy and full recovery.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate cagers who pull out in front of bikes.

Hope your wife recovers quickly, and also hope that after she recovers she will still ride with you.

Glad you both are still alive.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This subject has been debated many times both here and within the motorcycle community for years.

With conventional brakes, the MSF and professional riding schools teach: Front brake lock up release and re-apply. Rear brake lock up, hold until stopped.

I am sure with the invention of ABS brakes these theories will and have come into question again.

I will continue to subscribe to the proven and current doctrine of the MSF.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the nice part---glad you and your wife will heal. You need to learn from this. Basic riders course ---you didn't anticipate the truck entering your lane. You over reacted on the back brakes. You might of high sided ---I didn't see the wreck. Once the back tire starts sliding you have to release the front brake to gain control by steering into the slide while maintaining the back brake. That means you no longer have the stopping power of the front brake. Things happen fast in a slide and panic situation. The bike needs to be relatively straight for effective braking on both brakes or in control for evasion maneuvers. When and if you get back on the bike or a bike you need to practice emergency braking. I recommend an advance riders course with your bike.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Also happy to hear you both survived. Leaving a bike while it is still moving is no fun. Been there, hated it. Totaled out a 3 week old 2007 EGC a few years ago. Swore I'd never ride again. Took 12 weeks to recover and then I went out and got another bike. Now I have a 2009 Streetglide with ABS brakes and I swear by them. They have saved my bacon a few times from idiot cagers.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry this happened to you and your wife, especially on her first ride. I Pray for her speedy recovery.

You asked about ABS, and my new bike has it. Never rode one with ABS before, but I like the feature. I have tested it a few times on practiced panic stops, and honestly moving to a bike with ABS requires some rethinking slightly and some practice. THe first time I practiced a panic stop with the new bike, when the ABS kicked in, I naturally wanted to let up some because of the loud clicking and feedback I was getting in the foot pedal and brake lever made me think I was locking them up I guess. It takes some getting used to if you know what I mean. I locked it up on purpose (well tried) on some gravel to see how they would react, which was totally against my better judgement, but they worked. Another key thing to remember is with ABS, an upright straight line is key in stopping the bike.

I have yet used them in a true panic stop. But hopefully they will work, because I have retrained myself somewhat in my emergent braking technique. What scares me, is my second bike doesn't have ABS, and my new emergency technique practice will probably cross over... and that could be a real bad situation.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter1128
anti-lock brakes modulate the brakes to prevent lock up and is extremely helpful on wet and dirty surfaces. it is about impossible for a person to brake release brake etc as quickly as abs.
Not really...I always squeeze my brake lever 640 times per minute when stopping to prevent lock up.

To the OP....hope you both heal quickly.

Quick Reply: First time wife rides, first time idiot pulls out in front...Keep tire locked up?