General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight vs helical cut gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

All the hype,,, I like the 5th gear on our 07... only hear a little whine.......very little,, have to listen for it to hear it.....

Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Harley reasoning was that "straight cut" gears would be used in 1st and 5th gears because they are inherantly a little stronger than their "hellical" counterparts. I don't particularly subscribe to this notion but I am not a Harley Davidson engineer either. Launching a heavy motorcycle takes a stout first gear so their reasoning was to use a straight cut gear. Since touring bikes spend quite a bit of time in 5th gear accelerating, once again their reasoning was to use a straight cut here again. They never counted on the thousands of riders who bought new bikes complaining that they believed their transmissions were failing. The easy fix was to change out the Harley transmission oil to a real gear lube such as 75/90 but dealers usually don't recommend another competing fluid. Anyway, second, third, fourth and six gears all got hellical gears. Tired of all the complaining, Harley engineers changed all the gears to hellical for the 2010 year. This continues in the 2011 models as well and the complaints have stopped.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is the trans in the 07 Softail.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP didn't mention which model or year of his bike...

Didn't one year have a problem with 5th gear whining excessively? I am thinking it was '07, but not quite sure...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

This mostly sounds like marketing hype to me. Thanks all for the great information though. Much appreciated.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
This mostly sounds like marketing hype to me. Thanks all for the great information though. Much appreciated.
"Marketing hype"? I don't think so. The MoCo had to go to helical gears in response to customer whine about gear whine. Helical cut gears impart a lateral thrust to each other which will put additional stress on the shaft bearings and cases, which will require design modifications to the afore-mentioned components. That's seems like a lot of expense for a little "marketing hype". I don't have a problem with normal gear whine.

Last edited by RK4ME; 09-10-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My we are supose to do 5th gear dyno pulls
I like the whine

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's everybody whining about? Gear noise is normal. It's a good thing. The guys who whine about it obviously need louder pipes.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
"Marketing hype"? I don't think so. The MoCo had to go to helical gears in response to customer whine abour gear whine. Helical cut gears impart a lateral thrust to each other which will put additional stress on the shaft bearings and cases, which will require design modifications to the afore-mentioned components. That's seems like a lot of expense for a little "marketing hype". I don't have a problem with normal gear whine.

I was just wondering why one manufacturer makes a point of extolling the virtues of helical cut gears while the next does the same for straight cut gears. I guess it's like anything else.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
"Marketing hype"? I don't think so. The MoCo had to go to helical gears in response to customer whine about gear whine. Helical cut gears impart a lateral thrust to each other which will put additional stress on the shaft bearings and cases, which will require design modifications to the afore-mentioned components. That's seems like a lot of expense for a little "marketing hype". I don't have a problem with normal gear whine.

I was just wondering why one manufacturer makes a point of extolling the virtues of helical cut gears while the next does the same for straight cut gears. I guess it's like anything else.

Quick Reply: straight vs helical cut gears