Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   I guess I won't get invited back.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/565966-i-guess-i-wont-get-invited-back.html)

grandpawmoses 09-24-2010 05:11 AM

I guess I won't get invited back....

I wasn't going to mention it but it has bothered me this week & I'm bored anyway.
Anyway to make a short story long, The wife and I went on a charity ride a few Saturdays ago. We enjoy them & try to make as many as we can. Well this one was a little different in that Harleys were in the minority. Probably two metrics to each HD. All went smooth until the end of the ride & we sat down to a hot dog & burger lunch. General chat at my table (eight counting the wife & me). All Goldwing talk, how great they were, how Honda pioneered touring bikes, greatest bike ever, etc. One guy would praise a GW & the others would nod & grut "yeah". I'm okay with that, I'm for each his own. I kept my mouth shut & enjoyed the air conditioning as outside during the ride it was 95+ degrees. Then the enevitable happened, the Harley bashing started. After a few more unsubstainted comments the most vocal guy up & says "Why would anyone with any sense at all buy a Harley?" I spoke up & said "If I told you, you probably wouldn't understand. Harley riders are a bit more demanding of their ride & they have a more acute sense of respect." "How so?" demands the vocal one. I said "Well, for one, I wouldn't sit at a table & start talking trash about Harleys with someone sitting there with a Harley tee shirt on". The table got very quiet, at least until we left.

SPaZZdOG 09-24-2010 05:28 AM

I guess i'll never understand why people bash other brands. To me it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

stafford 09-24-2010 05:33 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a 1903 Honda

Iceman24 09-24-2010 05:36 AM

Two wheels + engine = motorcycle. We all straddle the tank to ride...

tjvrodrick 09-24-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SPaZZdOG (Post 7326655)
I guess i'll never understand why people bash other brands. To me it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

+1 there just ride

Inked624 09-24-2010 05:46 AM

Props to you for standing up to that loudmouth, and for defending the HD name. You got straight to the point and didn't need to say anything more. Good job!

Uncle Nick 09-24-2010 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by SPaZZdOG

Originally Posted by tjvrodrick (Post 7326666)
+1 there just ride

+2, these days with all the anti-bike feeling and legislation taking away our freedom and choice, we need to stand together, united regardless of what it says on the tank.

Your reply to the numbnut was outstanding, well done! :icon_clapclap:

Hawgnuttz 09-24-2010 05:56 AM

Not all people have good common sense. I remember when I was a metric rider all I would think about was I cant wait until I get me a harley. Its in them they just dont wanna come out of the closet so to speak.. They want one but just dont admit it.....Its called Harley Denial!!

schumacher 09-24-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses (Post 7326626)
they have a more acute sense of respect." "How so?" demands the vocal one. I said "Well, for one, I wouldn't sit at a table & start talking trash about Harleys with someone sitting there with a Harley tee shirt on". The table got very quiet, at least until we left.

shame a majority of the Harley riders in this forum don't feel that way :icon_stitch:

IndyClassic 09-24-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by schumacher (Post 7326693)
shame a majority of the Harley riders in this forum don't feel that way :icon_stitch:

Was thinking the same thing..........we jump on each other for type of HD ridden, miles or dress. :icon_tongue:

Good for you OP.