General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess I won't get invited back....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I guess I won't get invited back....

I wasn't going to mention it but it has bothered me this week & I'm bored anyway.
Anyway to make a short story long, The wife and I went on a charity ride a few Saturdays ago. We enjoy them & try to make as many as we can. Well this one was a little different in that Harleys were in the minority. Probably two metrics to each HD. All went smooth until the end of the ride & we sat down to a hot dog & burger lunch. General chat at my table (eight counting the wife & me). All Goldwing talk, how great they were, how Honda pioneered touring bikes, greatest bike ever, etc. One guy would praise a GW & the others would nod & grut "yeah". I'm okay with that, I'm for each his own. I kept my mouth shut & enjoyed the air conditioning as outside during the ride it was 95+ degrees. Then the enevitable happened, the Harley bashing started. After a few more unsubstainted comments the most vocal guy up & says "Why would anyone with any sense at all buy a Harley?" I spoke up & said "If I told you, you probably wouldn't understand. Harley riders are a bit more demanding of their ride & they have a more acute sense of respect." "How so?" demands the vocal one. I said "Well, for one, I wouldn't sit at a table & start talking trash about Harleys with someone sitting there with a Harley tee shirt on". The table got very quiet, at least until we left.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i'll never understand why people bash other brands. To me it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a 1903 Honda

Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Two wheels + engine = motorcycle. We all straddle the tank to ride...

Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Originally Posted by SPaZZdOG
I guess i'll never understand why people bash other brands. To me it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.
+1 there just ride

Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Inked624
Ultimate HDF Member

Props to you for standing up to that loudmouth, and for defending the HD name. You got straight to the point and didn't need to say anything more. Good job!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPaZZdOG

Originally Posted by tjvrodrick
+1 there just ride
+2, these days with all the anti-bike feeling and legislation taking away our freedom and choice, we need to stand together, united regardless of what it says on the tank.

Your reply to the numbnut was outstanding, well done!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

Not all people have good common sense. I remember when I was a metric rider all I would think about was I cant wait until I get me a harley. Its in them they just dont wanna come out of the closet so to speak.. They want one but just dont admit it.....Its called Harley Denial!!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:57 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
they have a more acute sense of respect." "How so?" demands the vocal one. I said "Well, for one, I wouldn't sit at a table & start talking trash about Harleys with someone sitting there with a Harley tee shirt on". The table got very quiet, at least until we left.
shame a majority of the Harley riders in this forum don't feel that way

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
shame a majority of the Harley riders in this forum don't feel that way
Was thinking the same thing..........we jump on each other for type of HD ridden, miles or dress.

Good for you OP.

Quick Reply: I guess I won't get invited back....