General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Sturgis in 2011?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Hrdtoget1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my girl are going for our 1st time and we'll be riding with a buddy of mine and his girl... were coming from So Cal... 1500 mile ride each way... Im picking up another bike within the next few months ( 2010 or 2011 Ultra )... tenting sounds great but my girl wants a nice room...

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a nice place to stay in stugis???

Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went last year for the first time from Cheyenne. The ride up there didn't seem that long. The ride back... now that was long. (I was hungover and sunburnt) I will be going again this year and will be going up on Thursday before it actually starts, staying through the weekend and leaving Sunday Morning. I will be staying at Bear Butte Creek Campground. $20.00 a night with plenty of shade. It's pretty quiet at night, so it's nice.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

If you end up tenting, I stayed for years at RushNoMore campground off exit 37, 7 miles from Sturgis. Private showers, food stand on site, back side of hill so you don't hear the I-90 Thunder.

The big name campgrounds, like Buffalo Chip and Glencoe, are pretty noisy, but you have a concert every night. The nude parade at Glencoe is pretty interesting as well....

Check Sturgis.com for a whole list of accomendations. 2010 was an anniversary year with huge crowds. 2011 will probably be a lot milder.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:11 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Already reserved camp space for 2011...

My sixth consecutive ride to Sturgis from N. CA, my wifes third, she goes every other year, and my brother in law, from across the pond, his first.

We will be camping at No Name City with friends from S. CA, Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. Planning on staying about five days. Then we are headed to Yellowstone for a few more days then home.

Sorry to say we won't be coming through your area though... But we will see you there...

Last edited by 2002flstc; 10-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Fireman_Rich
Cruiser

2010 was my first year as well as the first time riding to Sturgis. I have already made and confirmed plans to return next year. Stayed at the Chip, and had a great time. 2011 will be staying in spearfish. I will make many trips to Sturgis before my time on earth is done (God willing).

As a first timer in 2010, I thought I would have time to do a lot of different things; WrONG!!!!!!! Got to do maybe 50% of what I had planned, and I was there for the entire week!!!!! Going back will be an even better time!!! Oh, the main point of the post. I will NOT be coming through your area unfortunately. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
TFA
Novice

I'm definitely going. I was supposed to go for the first time this year and then broke my ankle a week before I was going to take off. Had Reservations at the Chip and figure on doing that again. Unless I am working out of town I will be traveling out from the Seattle area.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Chris_Hearn
Novice

Planning on heading there with my dad (bikes on trailer) from Canton, GA prob stay about 3 or 4 days depending on the fun we have. hoping some friends will ride up from texas but will see. This will be my and my dad's first year attending.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Interesting to know that people who have been there before think a whole week isn't too much time. My problem will be getting away from family and work the whole week. I will still owe the family a summer vacation, so I have to be careful with how many days vacation I take from work for Sturgis.

I am probably going to camp. Hopefully, a buddy will bring his toy hauler or RV (yes, he has both). I am going to check in with him.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 AM
LAMing
Road Master

2010 was my first time. Went with a friend from work. I'm not much on the big rally thing, so I was only in Sturgis for about an hour early one morning. Went for the Black Hills.

Now the Black Hills are WELL WORTH the effort to go up that way. Fantastic riding all throughout. Rode to/from on my old school Deuce (i.e. no windshield). The ride to was "fair"... the ride back was brutal once we got back to southern MO (105+ degrees, pavement temps near 160-170 degrees). Got all I wanted of that this year.

Sooo...

Tentative plans are to go back in 2011 with the wife. But, we'll be going in June, berzerking up with the HD on the trailer... unload and spend the week riding... then berzerk back with a day to spare for recoup. No huge crowds, made time through the boring stuff in comfort... had fun where it counts. Works for us.

Have fun!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,507 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
Maybe. But not during the circus. The roads are great, the scenery is unbelievable, and its so much more enjoyable when you're not stuck behind a lumbering RV going 15 miles below the speed limit, etc., etc. Large crowds that wait in line for OCC autographs, overflowing porta potties, ad nauseum..........
Funny how there's at least one of these posts on every Sturgis thread.

I'm sure I'm going, it's turned into a regular trip for me. I ride right up I25 from Albuquerque, but usually ride up in one day. If I split it into two days this year I'll let you know. I have friends whose families have been vacationing up there since the '50's. A bunch of us stay in the cottage or camp out there.

Crazy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to Sturgis in 2011?