General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Sturgis in 2011?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Going to Sturgis in 2011?

Early, I know! I am planning on going, unless something with the family pops up. I would like to hook up with anyone going from my part of the country, or riding past me in Colorado on your way.

Who is planning on going to Sturgis? First time or have you gone before? Where are you coming from to go to Sturgis?

Perhaps this thread can start some plans that hook up some people to travel together.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went up last year with a small group (5 of us) and more than likely will go up in 2011 as well. Rode thru your city on the way up from Las Vegas. '10 was my first year, the guys I rode with was their 25 consecutive year. Keep in touch and we'll see what happens.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I've never had a real desire to visit the area during the rally, I've always wanted to ride the Black Hills. My uncle, however, has harbored a life long dream of attending the rally and asked if I would ride out with him next summer. So, as it stands now, my uncle and I will be riding out from Virginia.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm planning on going next year. Since I want to ride I'm looking at about 3 weeks off work to do it.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
bkbennett
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!

I'm going.
It's my 2nd trip.
Last time was 2008 from St Louis
This time it's from the Dallas area.

I already have my hotel reservations in Lead!

So far, I'm riding some of the distance by myself.

I'm looking for riders to join up with.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
I went up last year with a small group (5 of us) and more than likely will go up in 2011 as well. Rode thru your city on the way up from Las Vegas. '10 was my first year, the guys I rode with was their 25 consecutive year. Keep in touch and we'll see what happens.
HR - that is the idea of this thread! Will keep in touch. Maybe we can make Colorado Springs or Denver a rally point for a bunch of riders to meet up, then do the rest of the ride in a large group. It is about 400 miles from Denver to Sturgis, so it could be done in one long day of riding.

Originally Posted by bkbennett
YES!!!

I'm going.
It's my 2nd trip.
Last time was 2008 from St Louis
This time it's from the Dallas area.

I already have my hotel reservations in Lead!

So far, I'm riding some of the distance by myself.

I'm looking for riders to join up with.
Coming up I-25 wouldn't be out of the way, if you want to meet up. Hotel reservations already?!? I have to talk to my neighbor - his parent's have a toy hauler that they bring and I would be happy just pitching a tent next to their trailer!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am apparently going - my wife keeps printing maps and figuring out routes and whatever.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Been there every year since I retired. That's ten times now. Find a new area to ride every time so far and like to repeat most. I always do Crazy Horse and Needles Highway. Next year I will do more in the outlying towns like Custer.

I took my trailer once. I think that I will do that more often now that I'm 70. I like the climate control and comfort of the toy hauler. It's 860 miles from my house in Illinois and I have rode it straight through in 13 hours for the past two years. Going I-80, I-35 and I-90 is a boring ride after 10 times. It is no longer the ride but the destination for me.

I still do adventure rides of 4 to 10K a year with next years planned for about 9K.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-08-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone else? Don't be shy!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe. But not during the circus. The roads are great, the scenery is unbelievable, and its so much more enjoyable when you're not stuck behind a lumbering RV going 15 miles below the speed limit, etc., etc. Large crowds that wait in line for OCC autographs, overflowing porta potties, ad nauseum. I went to the rally a couple of times in the mid-70s. Quite different. Not better, just different. Deadwood hated bikers so much that they banned motorcycle parking on mainstreet during the rally...and they also had legal whorehouses.

I've been through the area in June a couple of times in the last 5 or six years. It's empty, and you really can feel a connection to the area when it's not party central.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to Sturgis in 2011?