Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Raw gas out exhaust (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/574340-raw-gas-out-exhaust.html)

MGN54 10-19-2010 01:12 PM

Raw gas out exhaust:UPDATE

Was going for a short after lunch ride. Pulled bike out and no start...WTF? She's never not started. Could smell raw gas. Thought maybe the petcock was leaking. Nothing there to report. Tried starting a couple of more times. No start. Then noticed raw gas dripping out the exhaust!

I usually don't shut petcock off and have never had a problem. Pulled air cleaner and all looked well in there. Tried starting again and if cracking the throttle a bit she would fire up. Blowed some black smoke when throttle applied and finally stopped that but won't idle unless I roll the throttle back a bit. Figure a fouled plug at this point but both headers were getting hot as I kept her running. So, what the hell is this all about? First time I've had a problem with her. Gonna let her cool down and pull the plugs and check them.

Bike is a 2001 Night Train.

TIA

PktChg 10-19-2010 01:26 PM

Did it rough idle? Could be a broken wire or electrode.

MGN54 10-19-2010 01:32 PM

No, it sounded pretty normal on idle with me cracking the throttle open just a bit to keep her running. She was running great when I parked her after ride with my wife on Saturday.

the blob 10-19-2010 01:42 PM

im takeing a guess but i think its a stuck float in the carb.

MGN54 10-19-2010 02:28 PM

the blob,

I thought about that too....any reason the float would stick out of no where?

Also, could the raw gas out the exhaust be from trying to get her cranked with full choke on? She's cooled down enough now. Gonna pull the plugs and see how they look. Will report back.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

scootertramp 10-19-2010 03:46 PM

You're lucky you haven't had this problem before. There is a reason there is an off position on the petcock. If raw gas came out the exhaust you'd better change the oil cause fuel leaked past the rings and into your crankcase. Shut the petcock off. It might have been a stuck float but either way that kind of stuff happens when you allow fuel to the carb when not in use.

cornishman 10-19-2010 04:02 PM

Sounds like a sticking float , it can only take a very small piece of crap to occur.

MGN54 10-19-2010 04:26 PM

Took the plugs out and they were very sooty black so picked up some new plugs. Will for sure change the oil and filter and start fresh with both. Good project for my Thursday off! And yes, I do need to get in the habit of shutting the fuel off!! This will hopefully help me to remember. Will report back as to how she does after these things are tended to Thursday.

Scootertramp.....As for oil, is it ok to go with synthetic I intend to run in it or should I use some dino oil for a few hundred miles to flush things out first?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses. If anyone else has an idea here, send it on!

MGN54 10-19-2010 04:29 PM

Scootertramp...just thought of something else. Could this be a sign that the vacuum valve isn't working or maybe has a leak in the diaphragm? I guess that even if it did, the needle should shut the fuel down, right?

WWECOUGAR 10-19-2010 07:47 PM

There isn't an overflow if the float sticks? The CV carbs I've worked with do. The extra gas goes right out this tube and onto the road below. With no throttle the fuel wouldn't go through the jets would it?