General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Leather Jackets - "Made In...?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,695 Likes on 1,985 Posts

Originally Posted by psrb191921
The best leather stuff comes from italy (and also all kind of cloth) why do you need hd jackets at all
Originally Posted by load97
Why even be on this forum at all...

Why ride a Harley-Davidson at all?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Red Ryder
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, way to go Harley-Davidson, this is another reason why Sales are Slumping, your Parts, Jackets, Clothing, etc, etc, etc., are
Chinese Fuken Chit!!!

Wife said I needed a new jacket after 30+ years. Told her okay, would be nice to say H-D, but has to be AMERICAN MADE!!!

I will Keep my old Leather-

Old 04-01-2019, 03:01 PM
dnd31
Tourer
Received 1,018 Likes on 220 Posts

FWIW Hillside USA Leather has 15% off through today 4/1/19. I have no affiliation just saw while shopping for a vest. Mods delete if inappropriate.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I just can't stand the gawdy Harley leather no matter where it is made. If you are riding your bike, why do you need to paint it all over your jacket and underoos.

Tangent, Harley was making American t-shirst until not all that long ago. Last 10 years, I am guessing. Seemed cheap, not really cheap, t-shirts were American, but more expensive clothing was Chinese or such.

As for jackets, 90s seemed to be a turning point. You could still fairly easily find boots made in America. Early 2000 i was quite the strain. I found some berry complaint boots lately, but mainstream is usually over priced.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 AM
Oneshot660
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a lot of research on my 70's leather jacket. It does not have a "made in" tag either. And my search suggested that if it does not have the "made in "tag ,It was made in the U.S.A. Anything made out of the country has to have a country of origin tag. That is my understanding any how.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 08-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Roan
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Found a HD leather jacket at the resale shop for $150. I was c e r t a i n it was a $400-500 jacket, and convinced my wife it would make a great Christmas present for me. Bought it and brought it home. Upon close examination the inside HD label says "An American Legend" and just below that "Made In China." Spent the afternoon researching the internet and this site to find this is an old (and tired) whipping post. The jacket looks great, feels great, and is quality made (stitching, heavy duty zippers, etc), so I'm happy pappy.

As many have previously explained, corporate profit (greed) is the god that runs the world. Lowest labor wages gets the contract to build/manufacture. Governments and corporations make each other wealthy beyond comprehension. Our current President ran on making this country great again. And just look at what is happening to him courtesy of the media and both parties. Proof enough that politicians and corporate CEO's don't want that.

nuff sed.

Last edited by Roan; 08-28-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

This has been common knowledge for years. Most all of HD's clothing is manufactured overseas, mainly China. Same holds true for Indian and the majority of everyone else. Who is NOT selling gear that was made in China?

Old 08-28-2019, 05:55 PM
I Like Pie
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 77 Posts

My 2006 FXRG clearly states Make in China. It was $595 w/liner in Dec. 2006. I'm the second owner and would never drop that kind of coin on a jacket. It was thrown in with the bike to sweeten the deal. I've got to say though it is one excellent quality jacket.

Last edited by I Like Pie; 08-28-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Missed spelled word
Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 PM
Redd Jedd
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Roan
Found a HD leather jacket at the resale shop for $150. I was c e r t a i n it was a $400-500 jacket, and convinced my wife it would make a great Christmas present for me. Bought it and brought it home. Upon close examination the inside HD label says "An American Legend" and just below that "Made In China." Spent the afternoon researching the internet and this site to find this is an old (and tired) whipping post. The jacket looks great, feels great, and is quality made (stitching, heavy duty zippers, etc), so I'm happy pappy.

As many have previously explained, corporate profit (greed) is the god that runs the world. Lowest labor wages gets the contract to build/manufacture. Governments and corporations make each other wealthy beyond comprehension. Our current President ran on making this country great again. And just look at what is happening to him courtesy of the media and both parties. Proof enough that politicians and corporate CEO's don't want that.

nuff sed.
The first half of your statement is called capitalism, an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state, and one which many Americans believe is what makes this country so great. The second part of your statement is the same contradictory misconception that surprisingly many Americans hold, in that it is some how un-American businesses and corporations to want to maximize profits over nationalistic sentiment.

Look at it this way: capitalism demands that profits expand year over year, all of the time. Period. Full stop. So at some point businesses and corporations need to expand their business to maximize profits and reduce costs. Hence, made in Korea, Taiwan, China, North Vietnam, etc... This is how the US became the richest, most powerful nation in history. And since you brought up our current President, he does not know history well enough to understand that in the 70+ years after WWII, world order was set up for American businesses to cultivate customers all over the world, providing the method for us to become the richest nation in the history of the world. What we paid out creating and protecting markets for our businesses to sell their goods and services in has been paid back to us many times over in the profits that came back to us. Look at the rise of multi-national companies since the end of WWII and see how many are American; IBM, Apple, Microsoft, GM, Ford, Amazon, Exxon, Google, Boeing, GE, P&G, Coca Cola, etc... World trade is a lot more complex than how our President conceives it, and we are not going to make much profit in me selling to you and you selling to me. Explore David Ricaro's theory of Competitive Advantage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Leather Jackets - "Made In...?