General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red loctite on throttle body bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Red loctite on throttle body bolts???

I bought an air cleaner from FuelMoto, and while I generally consider them to be the best of the best, I have a pretty big concern.

This is their modified K&N ventilator style high flow kit. In their instructions (an addendum to the original K&N one) they, in bold letters and a “This is VERY important” preface, say you must use RED loctite on the three bolts that hold the backplate to the throttle body.

Now, this kinda freaked me out, considering they are small - 1/4” or smaller, bolts that one day, I may want to take out. So I called them and they said I absolutely had to use red, because otherwise those bolts WILL eventually vibrate loose. And they also never had a problem removing them.

So again, I trust these guys, but the thought of red on such a small bolt that I will eventually want to remove, is very concerning.

I suppose I could always use a mini torch to heat them up, but that close to the throttle body, also would concern me. Or is that not a problem?

Any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 AM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

blue loctite and recheck after 500 miles?

Old 09-14-2019, 08:45 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,430 Likes on 4,130 Posts

Red loctite on an air filter backing plate? Never heard of such a thing. I rarely use more than blue on anything.

The following users liked this post:
ole_phart (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by coop creek
blue loctite and recheck after 500 miles?
My assumption is that FuelMoto are focused on the temperature rating in their selection of Red (500 degF), but if it were me I'd go the high temp Blue (450 degF) - the standard Blue is 300 degF.

Would be disaster if the screws came loose and ingested by the engine.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't the three bolts hold a air filter and the breather bolts hold the backing plate on?

Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
My assumption is that FuelMoto are focused on the temperature rating in their selection of Red (500 degF), but if it were me I'd go the high temp Blue (450 degF) - the standard Blue is 300 degF.

Would be disaster if the screws came loose and ingested by the engine.
I really doubt the throttle body gets that hot. I’m certain it’s purely the strength of the bond. As you said, ingesting a bolt into the throttle body would not be a good thing...

However every other air cleaner I’ve ever had, even those with non-captured bolts all required blue. Strange.

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Don't the three bolts hold a air filter and the breather bolts hold the backing plate on?
No, the three bolts seal the backplate to the throttle body, and the two banjo (breather) bolts hold the backplate to the motor.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-14-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,973 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Blue. Never used it on any carb, air cleaner parts. They suggest red, I suggest a different manufacturer.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

No,you will need heat to ever get the bolts back out n will roast your seals.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,657 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I bought an air cleaner from FuelMoto, and while I generally consider them to be the best of the best, I have a pretty big concern.

This is their modified K&N ventilator style high flow kit. In their instructions (an addendum to the original K&N one) they, in bold letters and a “This is VERY important” preface, say you must use RED loctite on the three bolts that hold the backplate to the throttle body.

Now, this kinda freaked me out, considering they are small - 1/4” or smaller, bolts that one day, I may want to take out. So I called them and they said I absolutely had to use red, because otherwise those bolts WILL eventually vibrate loose. And they also never had a problem removing them.

So again, I trust these guys, but the thought of red on such a small bolt that I will eventually want to remove, is very concerning.

I suppose I could always use a mini torch to heat them up, but that close to the throttle body, also would concern me. Or is that not a problem?

Any thoughts?

It would concern me, being that the M8 throttle body is plastic.....

Old 09-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dynamick
It would concern me, being that the M8 throttle body is plastic.....
Well, not removing concern, but the TB is aluminum as always. The intake manifold is what’s plastic.

Quick Reply: Red loctite on throttle body bolts???