General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 120R motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
parker_ky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD 120R motor

I have a 2010 SG....with 103 kit..... 100HP / 100FPT

Was wondering if I would see enough difference to justify the nearly 6K 120R motor? Would it be reliable for long trips?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:57 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parker_ky
I have a 2010 SG....with 103 kit..... 100HP / 100FPT

Was wondering if I would see enough difference to justify the nearly 6K 120R motor? Would it be reliable for long trips?

Thanks!
Your probably looking at an additional 30-40 hp/tq with a good 2-1 pipe. You have to add the cost of the exhaust,tuner & throttle body w/inj, intake, and upgraded clutch set-up into the mix also. Which would bring you up in the $9k range. Then there's always cam changes, lol! Since the motors new, there aren't any high mileage reviews yet, but it is considered a "race motor"

Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by red devil
Your probably looking at an additional 30-40 hp/tq with a good 2-1 pipe. You have to add the cost of the exhaust,tuner & throttle body w/inj, intake, and upgraded clutch set-up into the mix also. Which would bring you up in the $9k range. Then there's always cam changes, lol! Since the motors new, there aren't any high mileage reviews yet, but it is considered a "race motor"
Seems like at one time the 110" was considered a race engine or experimental engine, had some flaws but the main thing is that the MOCO has worked to make them better. If I had the coin I would get one of these
http://cart.rrcycles.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=331

Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is being marketed as a "Drag Race Motor" and not allowed by MOCO for street use. I don't know if this is a liability disclaimer or if it is really geared toward drag and not street optimization.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD 120R Motor

I read an article about it in HOG magazine but it didn't really have much to say other than "all hell would break loose" if you tried it for street use.

I asked the dealer about it and they said that the only reason it is not rated for street use was emissions. The service manager said you could try installing baffles and such to try to get it to pass.

you would still need about 4k in work and parts to convert any bike with it though as a previous poster mentioned (heavy duty clutch spring, etc.). Bringing the price to around 9-10k. Still, the S&S 124 isn't made for the new Harley's so this is probably a good bet.

The next alternative maybe the S&S 130 coming out for Confederate Motorcycles, but I don't know the specs of it or if it will fit in the frame of a HD.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ockam
I read an article about it in HOG magazine but it didn't really have much to say other than "all hell would break loose" if you tried it for street use.

I asked the dealer about it and they said that the only reason it is not rated for street use was emissions. The service manager said you could try installing baffles and such to try to get it to pass.

you would still need about 4k in work and parts to convert any bike with it though as a previous poster mentioned (heavy duty clutch spring, etc.). Bringing the price to around 9-10k. Still, the S&S 124 isn't made for the new Harley's so this is probably a good bet.

The next alternative maybe the S&S 130 coming out for Confederate Motorcycles, but I don't know the specs of it or if it will fit in the frame of a HD.

Yeah, right, all hell would break loose in hyperbole land. I like the sound of this one, as it's more my style of tune:

Midwest Motorcycle Supply is proud to announce the introduction of their latest addition to the Ultima® line of V-twin engines. This 124 cubic inch engine is designed with touring, and or bagger riders in mind.
#298-228
Engine Polished
#298-228
Engine Natural Finish
#298-228
Engine Black

Starting with the proven 120 engine as the basis, the 124 cid was accomplished by
increasing the stroke from 4.25” to 4.375”. This insures the rider of at least 100 ft. lbs. of torque
above 2000 RPM for passing situations.
The camshaft was changed to lower the peak torque
RPM and to spread out the torque curve.
At the same time the camshaft ramps were designed
to provide quiet, easy on the valve train longevity.
The compression ratio was dropped slightly to allow for the occasional bad tank of fuel without
causing major engine damage. This slight drop in compression also has the effect of smoothing
out the firing impulses for an even smoother ride. Couple these improvements to pistons made
from time proven 2618 alloy and you have a very quiet, p
owerful, and long lasting engine for
your riding pleasure.

This combination has been proven on the dyno with torque exceeding 135 ft. lbs. and horse-
power exceeding 140. This data was gathered on a Superflow Dyno, which is recognized as 10%
low when compared to Dyna Jet numbers. Add 10% and you get an astounding 148 ft. lbs. and
154 HP! Not bad for a “bagger” engine!

ULTIMA COMPETITION ENGINE OWNERS MANUAL

...or "el bruto"!...

The 4.400” bore
140" El Brutos®
are engines that defy
description to those
who have not yet
experienced this level of
Horsepower & Torque.
This is the correct answer
for the customer who
demands the highest
performance available.
Born In The U.S.A.™

Rated Power
140 C.I. 160 HP
with 175 LB FT
Torque.

Ultima Long Rod 140 Engine
140 CI
Bore: 4.400
Stroke: 4.625
Press Pin Crank w/ 8” Rods
Piston: Forged Flat Top w/ 927 Pins
Compression: 10.8:1
Cam Shaft: .640” Lift
CNC Ported Oval Port H.O. Heads
2.300” Int 1.800” Ex Valves
Chrome Billet Reed Valve Rocker Boxes
Billet Oil Pump
Ignition is installed on assemble engines
Includes 48mm Mikuni Carburetor
Rated Power 165 HP—170 Lb Ft Torque
El Bruto® Competition Series
Ultima Long Rod 140 CI Engines
Ultima has put together our first High Output Engine packages for the most demanding performance enthusiast. All Engines feature our heavy duty C355 Castings and Dynamic Balanced Press Pin Crank Shafts. This is a difficult engine to describe the performance level to anyone who hasn’t had it and this is the correct answer for the customer who demands the highest performance availible. These Engines are available in both Assemble Complete and Unassembled Long blocks.
Things you must know
You must have a frame that can accept an engine 5/8” taller than a stock Evo.
You must have heavy-duty drive train components.
Limited warranty.
Rated Power: is based on using a very large bore Carb such as the 48mm Mikuni or S&S D series and Hooker Step Tuned Short Staggered Dual Ex. Other Combinations will change the power level attainable
Case
Made In U.S.A. Cast-in steel inserts guaranteed not to move. Large bore breather for increased crank case vacuum and less blow by. 1/2” Alignment dowels for true line bore. Counterbored stainless allen head case bolts. Close machining tolerances. Made from prime C355-T6 aluminum that is superior in strength to A356. Styling and cosmetic machining for a custom look.
Crankshaft
Our New state of the art designed crankshaft incorporates a massive 1.670 diameter pin that is pressed into the one piece, heat treated, 4140 steel flywheel half making these crankshafts some of the strongest available on the market today. These crankshafts feature all new 8.0” long H-Beam rods with .927 diameter wrist pins to handle all the power you can throw at them. These are also balanced using our exclusive methods making these some of the smoothest engines in the industry.
Cylinder
C355-T6 Casting. Cast in liners will not move. . All fins are machined for an excellent cosmetic appearance.
Cylinder Head
C355-T6 Casting. All fins are machined for excellent cosmetic appearance. Twin Cam Styling means 30% more fin than most Evolution® style heads for cooler running. Compression release valves. 2.300 stainless intake valves, 1.800 stainless exhaust valves. CNC ported. Manganese Bronze guides. High silicon wire valve spring with chromoly retainer.

Last edited by TORQUEY; 11-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was reading another forum where someones 120r build was able to achieve 129/128, pretty sure he was running a fatcat exhaust.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by ZeroFiveFour; 11-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
It is being marketed as a "Drag Race Motor" and not allowed by MOCO for street use. I don't know if this is .....
I'm just guessing, and I'll admit I haven't been paying attention for a long time, but is this any different than some of the other new configurations from the MoCo ? They build a few engines, people go out and hammer them until they break, so they build a few more motors and give a few more people a chance to hammer them, until they've addressed those bugs and then they build enough to have a larger group hammer them in a more civilized environment (police bikes) ?

I was in another world when the 74 got bigger, and I finally noticed the 80-inchers when a buddy came over with an 88".

Years later, I got an 88". My RG had a lot of extra weight on it, but it breathed well ( I remember at least a couple of times at the dealership that the guys who rode it said it pulled hard for basically being only a Stage-one ). While I admit that I am the kind of guy who likes big engines (I have a 460, 428, a 5.4 litre and two 4.6s) and always want more power ( believe it or not, I got kinda silly in the rain for a while after we got a 4.0 liter Aerostar to replace our almost-identical 3.0 liter. It was an instant 33% increase in power ! ), my 88" had enough power to get me into situations that ended with me having such little pavement left that I realized my 88" was fast enough for me to get in trouble on.

But there were times on a steep climb at 8000ft loaded two-up I was surprized when I tried to twist the throttle and it wouldn't go any farther.

So, last weekend, I picked up my 103-inch RG.
20% more motor.
I'm being gentle with the throttle on the 103", and it accelerates harder than I usually rode my 88-inch RG when I WASN'T being gentle with the throttle. It's a blast. Even more fun than an Aerostar, if you can believe that !

So, if I'd read this thread a week ago I wouldn't understand quite as much as I do now why someone would want a well-engineered racing-engine detuned to be a stump-puller on the street.

But, once I get used to this 103", I'm going to remember how kool a 20% increase in engine displacement is. A 120" or 124" that's being tested now might be an option.

So, go out and get them, everybody. And ride 'em hard. If you won't do it for yourselves, do it for me.....

Last edited by edilgdaor; 11-02-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts

....even more OT than my previous post, now that I think about what I actually typed.

I just realized I saw a bunch of 95-inch engines, but the first time I heard of the 96-inch engine was when it was announced shortly after I bought my 88-inch.

So there's a pretty good illustration I have NO clue about what I was apparently previously claiming I understood. So where was I wrong ?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You know I told you guys that H-D was unveiling the new 120 at Sturgis and I didn't get one reply. Guess you must have thought I was BS'ing...see thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...or-96-c-i.html

Quick Reply: HD 120R motor