General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is it considered theft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
underdog2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what point is it considered theft?

I purchased a 2009 FXDB from a friend at work who was selling his son's bike with a power of attorney (his son is in the military). I got my loan through USAA and they sent a certified bank check to Harley (where the seller had it financed through) which Harley cashed on October 8th that paid off that loan.

So technically as of October 8th, the title belonged to me. As of today, 11-12-10, I have yet to receive my title and obviously can not register the damn thing and already am past the 20 day period I have to do so without having to pay a penalty.

I have already called Harley two weeks ago asking about the title. What really pissed me off then is that the rep there would not talk to me unless I knew personal information about the seller (social security number, address history, date of birth). Lucky for me, I work with his dad and he had to get on the phone to give that information before they would tell me that they are still processing the title and it should get to me by 11-5-10.

What if I had just bought the bike through Ebay and didn't have someone with me to give out that information? Harley wouldn't talk to me about a title that belongs to me? I don't see how I have to have any other information other than the VIN and my information seeing how they cashed a check for the payoff weeks ago.

At what point does this turn criminal? Seriously, they are withholding something for over a month that I paid off.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Dunno. But, when I buy or sell a vehicle, it is always Cash for title in person;zero exceptions. Going through something similar right now. Interested in buying a Vette. Guy says title is at finance company. I told him I'm ONLY interested if the title is being held locally at the finance office, which coincidentally is a few blocks from my house. I told him gotta walk out of finance office with my cash or title;NO EXCEPTIONS, no title sent through the mail BS,just because of problems like you're experiencing. OH, you'll get the title OK--it'll just be a pain in the butt with the phone calls & BS.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

If USAA issued the check will they help you with this?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I recently bought an '08 Ultra Classic that was financed through HD Credit. I used a program called Seller's Assist. I learned about this program by calling HD Credit.

The seller and I met at a HD dealer, who took care of the entire transaction. The dealer sent my check directly to HD Credit. In 1.5 weeks HD Credit sent me a lien release, allowing me to transfer the bike's title to my name.

I basically trust people, but I wouldn't be comfortable handing over a check directly to a seller. Reason is some people are upside down; they owe more than what a bike is worth. They'd need your check plus additional money to cover their payoff. There's no way you'd know this unless the transaction was managed by an independent party that's connected to the finance office.

Last edited by Geoff; 11-12-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you financed through USAA you should not see the title at all. It will be sent to USAA and they will hold it. After all, they own the bike now.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
If you financed through USAA you should not see the title at all. It will be sent to USAA and they will hold it. After all, they own the bike now.
Yeah, but he would still get a memorandum copy of the title to register the bike. No title ..... no registration, no registration ..... no plates, no plates, you go to court.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
underdog2003
Advanced

Yes, I just got off of the phone with USAA and they could only provide me with the proof that their check was cashed by Harley but really there is nothing more they can do that I can't do myself as far as make phone calls.

I already know that the payoff amount given to USAA for that title by Harley was the true payoff amount to take ownership of the bike because USAA verified that with Harley themselves before they approved the loan and overnighted that check to Harley.

It just really pisses me off because like frog13 said, no registration=ticket and even possibly them impounding my bike if they wanna be ****** about it!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

They take at least 6-8 weeks to process the title...

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

If the bike was financed, once the loan has been satisfied they will send the title to the persons name listed on the title.
This would be your seller, not you.
That is also why they are not willing to talk to you much about it.

You need to contact the person you bought it from and ask them where the title is.
If they don't have it, They need to contact the lender and find out what the hold up is.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have similar pain due to a car we leased last month in Henderson, NV but we live in AZ.

Ticks me off but for $15.00 I was able to buy a 30 day tag. Might check your local DMV and see if that's an option.

Quick Reply: At what point is it considered theft?