General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's wearing High visibility vests

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell no.
I'm a civilian working on a Marine Corps base and we don't have to wear them on base anymore.
Before that, I would put it on/take it off immediately outside the gate.
Damn things don't do a damn bit of good to get cagers to actually notice you anyway.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Hell no.
I'm a civilian working on a Marine Corps base and we don't have to wear them on base anymore.
Before that, I would put it on/take it off immediately outside the gate.
Damn things don't do a damn bit of good to get cagers to actually notice you anyway.
thats cause the marines are ahead of the other services in that respect. i work on an army post so i have to wear one, but i take it off right outside the gate.

Originally Posted by wraplock
I'm thinking about picking up the Harley Davidson vest. Saw a guy riding the other day and it seems OK to me. ..
if you don't have a vest, think about the icon one before the harley one. the harley one does not breath, so in the summer it is damn hot. the icon one does allow air flow.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The crazy thing about this is I know a guy who "won't leave home with out it" has a vest and a suit. He's been hit 3 times that I know of while riding. All at intersections.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my life times member, chapter and HOG patch are all reflective. i always have that over my jacket. i was on a midnight ride a few months back and everyone in my chapter was saying they could see that vest from the back of the group reflecting off their head lights

Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I wear one after dark or in the rainy Seattle weather. I got one that is black mesh with white stripes on it from the MSF.

I cut the MSF patch off of the front and replaced it with a HD patch. People ask me all the time where they can get one. It cost $19 and a $1.50 for shipping.

Not bad looking and it stays in my saddlebag. Here is the link (the black one): https://store.msf-usa.org/Store/StoreItems.aspx?cid=3

Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't wear one, I agree with if they can't see my 3 headlights or my 900 pound bike a reflective vest won't do much more. I don't need any thing else to carry around.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

They reflect light very well from the front and back and the colors are generally very visible during the daytime but what would you do if you saw something reflecting light at you? Most people look over at whatever is causing the reflection (and keep in mind the vest has a very odd looking reflection and its constantly moving) and they accidentally swerve towards it. I will agree if you cant see my headlights and tail light or my bike in general then you shouldnt be driving.... or texting whichever you're doing at the time.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Initially bought one to get on base (retired USAF & Fed Civilian), but will slip it on at night b/c I feel any little piece if safety is good. Spent $40 so why not get my $$$'s worth for a bit. I have the Icon mil spec in orange - could possibly use for hunting too...??

Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and my summer mesh jackets are very reflective. Hers is a bright lime-yellow color which is highly visible both day and night.

Our winter leathers are not reflective at all but new helmets which should arrive tomorrow have a luminescent tape appliqué and design that should help a lot.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
FastGraf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont wear a vest. I live in an urban area and I think even the hi-vis colors blend in. And candidly, you look like a dork.

At night I usually wear the HD classic cruiser mesh jacket. 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material taping and graphics on chest and back really reflects at night!

Allover polyester mesh jacket with polyester upper body and shoulders for maximum airflow. Windproof, waterproof removable liner packs into itself for easy storage. Removable, lightweight body armor at elbows and shoulders. Pre-curved sleeves with adjustable sleeve tabs, adjustable cuffs, and adjustable waist tabs.

The mesh w/o the liner is as cool as no jacket at all.

I found it on the clearence rack and really recommend it.

Quick Reply: Who's wearing High visibility vests