General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM
mrtac2man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with the flow.. just try not to over adjust.. and have fun

Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yeh, wind is a lot of fun, isn't it?

Was a windy afternoon here as well. It's just something you have to get used to and it's never predictable. Some crosswinds will try to blow you right off the road.
Just keep riding, you'll get the hang of it

Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windsheild and then you will be hauling butt 90 Plus in no time

Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM
ksdrknite
Advanced

I took my MSF this summer, I am barrowing a friend's old import bike to practice on. It does keep getting better every time you go out. This winter hopefully Ill find what Im looking for in a Harley. Practice,practice,practice!! Good luck!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

O.K. I'll make a suggestion and take the flames.

Windshield.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious whats your general impression of being on two wheels.......I wish I could go back in time to my first month riding.......I was 18 years old. I had just sold my beater car for $200 and was walking down the street and saw a 1973 Honda CB350 leaning up against a tree with a for sale sign on it for $200....I had never ridden a motorcycle and just bought it on a whim and pushed it home....lol.....The first day riding it was completely Terrifying and at the same time, the most awesome thing i had ever experienced.....pure adrenaline rush!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Second week out riding the highways to work I got caught in bad rain. I thought that was the worst. Then a week later we had wind gusts up to 30-45mph.
On the big roads I favor faster and out of the way over slow and bunched up.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

surfer, we were headed to Sturgis in '06 on our new Ultra. We came down into Chamberlain, SD, from the north, and as I was pulling up to a stop sign, I spotted a gas station diagonal across the intersection, and I was watching the riders leaving the station, rather than paying attention to my driving. Before I could put my foot down for the stop, we suddenly found ourselves over on the right side, blown over from the gusts of wind coming crosswise down the valley.

There's a lot of surface area on a large bike, and that wind can be beach.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
I'm curious whats your general impression of being on two wheels.......I wish I could go back in time to my first month riding.......I was 18 years old. I had just sold my beater car for $200 and was walking down the street and saw a 1973 Honda CB350 leaning up against a tree with a for sale sign on it for $200....I had never ridden a motorcycle and just bought it on a whim and pushed it home....lol.....The first day riding it was completely Terrifying and at the same time, the most awesome thing i had ever experienced.....pure adrenaline rush!!!

Well, I think this pic would be the equivelant of my initial reaction......

Too be honest, I'm in the same phase you were. I am a very analytical person, so I'm always thinking of what can and may happen if I do this or that. Honestly it's a pain in the phooking ***. But, I'm also stubborn as hell and won't let anything stop me from obtaining perfection. So it's terrifying, but also kicks **** *** at the same time. I know I'm not ready for complete assimilation with traffic, but one day.........

Attached Thumbnails Wow!  My MSF course didn't cover this one....-funny_motivators_070.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

There are a lot of things the course didn't cover. If it covered most situations you will encounter, the class would last about a year. Just keep on riding and build up your confidence and skills, but DON'T get overconfident. You're a newbie and will stay one for a long time. I've been riding for 45 years and I still learn something new or come upon a new situation all the time. The key is to get the experiance to handle new situations and that takes saddle time. The really good thing is that if you like it, you've got the rest of your life to enjoy it, so why rush. Take your time, be careful, and gain experiance. If you're like most that like motorcycling, it's a very enjoyable learning curve that you're on.

Quick Reply: Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....