General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
I know that I am a noob/beginner rider and all so please wait till the end to start the name calling, but I had a suprising revelation!

Decided that the neighborhood drives and slow manuvering practice was getting boring, so I decided to head out on the back roads to head to Walmart.

Since most of my practicing only got me up to 30 MPH I wasn't expecting the impact of the wind at 40 MPH on my Iron. The most disturbing was the cross winds and turbulent areas (even though today was a calm day). Never really went over or had mentioned that issue in the MSF class here (they did touch on passing Semi's however). I had some ideas, but thought that about 600 pounds or so of bike and meat wouldn't really be pushed around that much. Before the Negative Nancies and Sandy Bagina's jump on me, I know that the equivalent of 2 days of "parking lot" practice can't give the same experience and all, I just wanted

Took me a bit to adjust, but after the first wobbles I found myself lacking confidence to get back up to 45 in open areas. Gonna head out there tonight when there is less traffic until I get it down!

OK, flame on every one!
There's no substitute for experience. Just stay as relaxed as you can with a loose grip on the bars.

And what's with the preoccupation with negative feedback?

Last edited by Sharknose; 11-21-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll find that the wind will change from ride to ride. The same route will be different on different days. Stick with it.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
There's no substitute for experience. Just stay as relaxed as you can with a loose grip on the bars.

And what's with the preoccupation with negative feedback?
Just a precaution that I took as there were a few asshats in some of my other threads that take to blasting someone from the start!

Last edited by wahlumsurfer; 11-21-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: sentence fragment!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax and go with the flow....you have your whole lane to weave around in...lol
After a short while you'll feel comfortable riding in a hurricane if need be....just gotta lean a little

Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 PM
du510
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practice swerving, both to the left and right. That'll help some.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
vamotorcop
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never ride faster than your Angel can fly......

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Took me a bit to adjust, but after the first wobbles I found myself lacking confidence to get back up to 45 in open areas. Gonna head out there tonight when there is less traffic until I get it down!

OK, flame on every one!
i won't flame you but if you lack the confidence to get the bike up to 45 MPH please just park it. i ride my MTN bike faster than 45 MPH... get to a long straightaway and bring that bike up to 125 MPH... after that full pucker 45 will feel like crawling...

seriously though i think you're really over-thinking. just get on and ride and use your common sense.

Last edited by babalu; 11-21-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

crosswinds take a lot of concentration. countersteering in the direction it's coming from will help keep you in a straight line just don't overdo it-you will really be out of line if a sudden change happens like a passing truck or coming through a cut in the hills. like I said it takes more concentration than usual and it will tire you out quickly. windsheilds don't do much for a crosswind.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by babalu
i won't flame you but if you lack the confidence to get the bike up to 45 MPH please just park it. i ride my MTN bike faster than 45 MPH... get to a long straightaway and bring that bike up to 125 MPH... after that full pucker 45 will feel like crawling...

seriously though i think you're really over-thinking. just get on and ride and use your common sense.

I will agree with that... I love slamming on full throttle and nearly sliding off the back of my bike till she doesnt pull anymore. Bigger rush than riding my roommates GSXR which does 120 in 2nd gear. Feeling the bike pull itself from underneath you..... hell yeah.

A windshield will also help but make sure you pick the right one. My old metric had a windshield and it would sometimes cause the bike to speed wobble because it was so tall and not cut right.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

On windy days windshields usually make the problems of crosswinds worse. Depending on the direction of the wind, they can act like a sail.

Quick Reply: Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....