General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....

I know that I am a noob/beginner rider and all so please wait till the end to start the name calling, but I had a suprising revelation!

Decided that the neighborhood drives and slow manuvering practice was getting boring, so I decided to head out on the back roads to head to Walmart.

Since most of my practicing only got me up to 30 MPH I wasn't expecting the impact of the wind at 40 MPH on my Iron. The most disturbing was the cross winds and turbulent areas (even though today was a calm day). Never really went over or had mentioned that issue in the MSF class here (they did touch on passing Semi's however). I had some ideas, but thought that about 600 pounds or so of bike and meat wouldn't really be pushed around that much. Before the Negative Nancies and Sandy Bagina's jump on me, I know that the equivalent of 2 days of "parking lot" practice can't give the same experience and all, I just wanted

Took me a bit to adjust, but after the first wobbles I found myself lacking confidence to get back up to 45 in open areas. Gonna head out there tonight when there is less traffic until I get it down!

OK, flame on every one!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

What a panzy.....

Just playing. Yeah it sucks driving on the highway. You really need to get everything from your helmet and clothing right before you start a long trip.

When I went to NC on vacation I had bruises on my back from my backpack, legs from my pants and my hands where sore as hell from my gloves. The way back I strapped the backpack down and wore fingerless gloves and better pants and had no problems at all.

Just give yourself extra room and be prepared for faster (and slower) vehicles. Semi trucks always blow you over the road just gotta know where the wind is gonna hit you at.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep practicing until you feel confident. You will get there. You are doing the right thing if you don't feel confident.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Practice,practice,practice! Hang on tight! I have ridden in cross winds so strong,I had to lay over the tank to keep from getting blown off the road. Have fun! Be safe!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 1,026 Posts

New rider your going to have questions, its practice, practice, practice and road time. You have to build your confidence, no one expects you to get it all at once. My Son-in-law has been going with me on my 04' and believe me it was a couple weeks before I put him out in traffic. We rode the backroads mostly and did a lot of stopping and starting especially on hills. He told me that the wind really does play on him but I told him you just need more miles to get it down pat. Confidence will come with miles on the road...

Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You will get used to it, there is alot of turbulance on freeways from all the cars and trucks stirring up the air, canyons can funnel wind into a narrow area and blow you a little when you cross them and meeting semi's on a 2 lane, you will learn to anticipate the wind blast and move over. Nothing wrong with being cautious just don't hold up traffic.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to flame. We all had to start somewhere.

Good luck to ya.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No flaming, it takes a while to experience all the factors you may encounter while riding. The key is to not let it alter your enjoyment. As you already know, turbulence from trucks is one of those and it is easy to anticipate and prepare. As a sailor, I always look for the wind. Yes, you can see it. Look at flags flying, trees swaying, how leaves, dirt etc. are blowing around on the ground. You will get the hang of it.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not just the new riders who have to get used to the wind. I rode sport bikes for about 10 years before I got my Harley. The first time I took it on the highway, I felt like the the wind was going to blow me off the bike. Now, with some practice and a good fitting helmet the wind doesn't bother me at all.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Go out on the Freeway and crank that bitch up to 75. You aren't going to blow over. Relax and let the bike do the work.

Quick Reply: Wow! My MSF course didn't cover this one....