Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Preferred Clutch Engagement Point (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/593986-preferred-clutch-engagement-point.html)

dFREDb 12-25-2010 05:47 PM

Preferred Clutch Engagement Point

Just curious where y'all like the clutch to start engaging on the lever. I like mine to start very soon after I begin to release it, but every time I get it back from the dealer (which ain't often) they have it coming in close to the end of the lever release. Just something that bugs the hell outta me.

TORQUEY 12-25-2010 06:05 PM

I prefer that mine start about one quarter out away from the grip. Having start very early or very late limits range of action and / or adjustment ability.

kiwideuce 12-25-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUEY (Post 7699069)
I prefer that mine start about one quarter out away from the grip. Having start very early or very late limits range of action and / or adjustment ability.

yeah! thats about were i like it to grab too!

kykurnal 12-25-2010 06:31 PM

:icon_that:

Wide_Open 12-25-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUEY (Post 7699069)

Same here. The one on my rigid engages near the end of it's travel and it drives me nuts. I have small hands anyway and it makes it much tougher to control in slow speed manuevers as if having a 280 rear tire and total 47 degrees of rake doesn't make it hard enough.

Jackie Paper 12-25-2010 07:20 PM

Just a thought

Sure most people know what determine this clutch engagement position but in case some do not here is why it's that way from the dealer. When they adjust the clutch the call out is 1/2 to 1 turn back from were the screw is all the way in. Most people figure it's best at 1 since you will be sure there is no danger of not enough slack in the cable and the clutch plate not fully locking up. The free play at the clutch lever (1/16-1/8) also affects this. I like you want my grabbing just as I start coming out. So I keep the free play at 1/16 for maximum clutch movement from the lever so as to pull the clutch plate as far apart as possible and the clutch at 1/2 turn out. Doing this requires you to keep a close eye on things and I do my own but the dealer probably would not do this unless you ask.

Kowan 12-25-2010 07:51 PM

Mr. Lucky posted this link in another thread, but I liked how the tech described the adjustment.
http://www.hdtalking.com/transmissio...nt_method.html

1skrewsloose 12-25-2010 08:53 PM

Really not too concerned where it locks up, as long as its locked up when the lever is all the way out. Full clutch is what its all about, if it doesn't disengage completely at idle, I don't worry about it, on the fly slide into neutral and go from there. See many bikers just hit the kil button at stops, then go to neutral. Nothing wrong with that. Tell my daughter thats how you tell a duffer, they sit at a stop trying to find neutral before they kll the motor. Makes no sence, to me anyway!

dFREDb 12-26-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by grf000 (Post 7699250)
Sure most people know what determine this clutch engagement position but in case some do not here is why it's that way from the dealer. When they adjust the clutch the call out is 1/2 to 1 turn back from were the screw is all the way in. Most people figure it's best at 1 since you will be sure there is no danger of not enough slack in the cable and the clutch plate not fully locking up. The free play at the clutch lever (1/16-1/8) also affects this. I like you want my grabbing just as I start coming out. So I keep the free play at 1/16 for maximum clutch movement from the lever so as to pull the clutch plate as far apart as possible and the clutch at 1/2 turn out. Doing this requires you to keep a close eye on things and I do my own but the dealer probably would not do this unless you ask.

Thanks for the explanation and tips! Fred

dog155 12-26-2010 02:37 PM

Learned a long time ago how to get the clutch just where I need it.When power shifting you need it to start releasing as soon as to touch the lever.Engaging for me needs to start happening very soon as well.Also always run primary specific fluid making clutch operation predictable.