General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How screwed am I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
The problem with that is the dealer would have to duplicate the rattle if any and then it would probly take them weeks to find it!

once they heard the rattle, they would probably tell you "All the new 11's do that".

Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you have one yourself or one you can borrow, try a shop vac with small attachment of course (duh!)...suck out any excess gas and hopefully that darn screw. Some places even sell tiny parts for shop-vacs for detailing cars and such. Depending on how much fuel you have in your tank, you may want to siphon out as much as possible first, but fluid in a shop vac doesn't hurt anything.

I'd jiggle the bike around to see if I could get that little bastid to get to where you can see it or at least get it away from the side/crevices...

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Bikes r Better than 1
I'm not much for working on my own bike so taking the tank off scares the hell out of me. I might try the speaker magnet, worse case, if I can't get it out will the bike be okay?
Your kidding I hope.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
If you have one yourself or one you can borrow, try a shop vac with small attachment of course (duh!)...suck out any excess gas and hopefully that darn screw. Some places even sell tiny parts for shop-vacs for detailing cars and such. Depending on how much fuel you have in your tank, you may want to siphon out as much as possible first, but fluid in a shop vac doesn't hurt anything.

I'd jiggle the bike around to see if I could get that little bastid to get to where you can see it or at least get it away from the side/crevices...

Good luck!
Wouldn't recommend using a shop vac unless the tank was totally empty and dry. Gas and the hot motor of a shop vac don't mix well. And yes saw one go up in flames one time....lol

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Originally Posted by instead

!
Fluids in a shop vac probably should not include gas fumes. If you try this get yourself an extra long hose and put the vac out in the middle of the street and do not blame us if your neighbors think you are practicing to be a terrorist after your are finished. MOM

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nabubba
Wouldn't recommend using a shop vac unless the tank was totally empty and dry. Gas and the hot motor of a shop vac don't mix well. And yes saw one go up in flames one time....lol
Well if that don't beat all...guess anything is possible.

I wouldn't want to suck out gallons of fuel, but a few ounces shouldn't hurt...why don't you try it and report back, okay?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts
Question

If you're not going to remove the screw, you should at least drop a nut in the tank to keep the screw company.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not suck gas with a vacuum cleaner

Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Jon H
Road Master

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
do not suck gas with a vacuum cleaner
You would never see this on 'Myth Busters', they are too smart for something like this!
LMFAO!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Doug Bromley
Cruiser

I own a Corvette repair shop been sucking out gas tanks for years it works great. I drain as much as I can then stick the hose in and get the rest. My shop vac always smells like gas for some reson lol.

Quick Reply: How screwed am I?