General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?

I'm taking the MSF ERC course this coming Saturday (9/30). I'm a little nervous since I'll be using my own bike and I'm not looking forward to seeing just how tight I can make figure-8 turns before I drop it.

Has anyone else taken the class and if so, what advice would you have for me? What type of exercises will they have us doing?

Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Norskie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?

My wife and I took the Avanced Course a dozen years ago. At that time I had a Suzuki Cavalcade (big top heavy touring bike) and she had an 1100 Honda Shadow. The instructor never put us in a situation where we were in danger of puting the bikes down. You'll do fine.
Ray J.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sweat TJ!

I've done it & it's really kinda fun. There's nothing in it that will really prove too challenging. It's a great refresher. Just pay close attention, so you know exactly what they want you to do.

After ya finsh that.... if ya still wanna drop the scoot, come on out next time we have practice... JK!

I'll holler when we schedule another one. Hoping this Saturday will be as nice as the last few days. I'm thinking we'll have another decent turnout....

Have Fun!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Thanks for keeping me on your short list Phil. I promise that the first time I have a totally free Saturday and you're holding court, I'll be there with bells on.

By the way, I'm getting Road Glide envy. Again.

I KNEW this was going to happen. [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Get ride like a pro 4. You'll learn a ton about tight turns and control in that video. After I watched the video and praticed a little, I was the star of my MSF course when finally took it They were amazed that I could scrape my floorboards...

BTW the MSF course is fun. Enjoy.

lp

Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 AM
skyking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to teach the course. Never had anyone drop their bike in the experienced course, though plenty of them did in the basic course, but those bikes belonged to the school. It could happen, but not likely if you've been riding for a while. Relax and enjoy it.

Rick

Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master

I just took the ERC at the Golden Aspen Rally in Ruidoso, NM. It was no problem.

They made the figure 8 box bigger than normal because of all the "Big" bikes in the course. There were 3 Goldwings and I had the only Harley in the course. The Wings couldn't keep it in the big box. After the first time, I was staying within the box from the beginning course without any problems.

The biggest problem I had was dragging the pegs on the forward controls on my FXRS. That wasn't really a problem, it just got my attention the first time.

Monty

Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Beeracuda

I just took the ERC at the Golden Aspen Rally in Ruidoso, NM. It was no problem.

They made the figure 8 box bigger than normal because of all the "Big" bikes in the course. There were 3 Goldwings and I had the only Harley in the course. The Wings couldn't keep it in the big box. After the first time, I was staying within the box from the beginning course without any problems.

The biggest problem I had was dragging the pegs on the forward controls on my FXRS. That wasn't really a problem, it just got my attention the first time.

Monty
I remember sweating the figure 8 test when I took MSF several years ago - but then again, there was more pressure since given the pass/fail component and I hadn't had much ride time under my belt at that time. Where I struggle with tight u-turns and figure 8s is by fixating on the turn itself and not looking ahead at where I want to end up. It's a habit that I've been trying to break.

By the way, we had our annual local high school homecoming parade this evening. There were 4 bike LEOs doing parade duty on BMW RTs and doing figure 8s in formation - on a 2-lane section of road. Very impressive!

Damn squids.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I took the ERC in April and it was a great refresher and check on where my skills were. Don't sweat the figure 8 box since very few riders manage a perfect score on it and if you cross a line (go outside the box) it doesn't fail you for the course.

I did drop my EG during the hard brake in a curve exercise. I didn't straighten up the bike before I applied maximum brake and when my EG is leaning over at slow speed, it is pretty much impossible for me to keep it up, so I literally laid it down.

You will enjoy it and, if you are a National HOG member, they will reimburse you $50 (in Harley dollars) for passing the course.

I am curious about the cost; here in the metro Atlanta area it is offered at a magnificent HONDA riding center (where dirt bike and ATV training is also offered) for $60. What is it for you?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:47 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

You will enjoy it and, if you are a National HOG member, they will reimburse you $50 (in Harley dollars) for passing the course.

I am curious about the cost; here in the metro Atlanta area it is offered at a magnificent HONDA riding center (where dirt bike and ATV training is also offered) for $60. What is it for you?
Woo hoo! Thanks for the reminder about the HOG reimbursement. (I'll have to dig up the instructions on how to apply for the reimbursment.)

I'm taking the course at a local Honda training facility (Irving, TX) and the cost for the ERC is $75. The Honda center here also trains MSF, ATV and dirt bike. They also train Honda mechanics. It's a pretty top notch facility - sounds like the same thing you have in Atlanta.

Quick Reply: MSF Experienced Riders Course - advice?