General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle safety course for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can show you have the skills and there's no need for the class, then you shouldn't need to take the class. That's what I did.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:19 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 512 Posts

Oh, great idea...if you happen to own MSF.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 AM
treadstone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikridr69
i think everbody should have to take the msf course before getting a license. and keep it up to date. its colorado springs 45 and sunny out. so yeah im riding. and some jackass pulls out in front of me while trying to do a u-turn. luckily it was at a slow speed and since i held it as long as i could there wasnt much damage to me or the bike. still pisses me off though. does anyone else think that all drivers should have to take the course, or have any other ideas to help keep us riders safe.
Yea I was out there today and had a near miss or two too. Same thing happened to me this year only I went down with the bike and it took a few months before I got it back. Remeber, everyone, EVERYONE in this town will pull right the hell out in front of you! Do what you can to stay safe.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a lot of people want to legislate law directed at someone else. Some of that fix them BS.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 AM
OU812
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Seems like a lot of people want to legislate law directed at someone else. Some of that fix them BS.
Its a law in Texas,to get your license you must take the MSF.......

Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblemania
NOT what we need. We do NOT need any more government mandated anything.
I agree that we have far too much government intrusion into our lives as it is, but driver training is one place more and stricter training should be required. I think everybody should have to take a comprehensive driving class before getting any license to drive. The training required now is ludicrus, a few hours that most people pay very little attention too, and a test that morons pass easily.
One of the highest percentages of death for teens is car accidents, usually caused by easily avoidable wrecks, or just plain stupidity. Unfortuately, it's not just the stupid driver that dies, they often take innocent pasengers or others with them, including the biker they didn't see..
Most bike accidents are caused by car drivers doing something stupid.
At least with a biker is doing something stupid, they usually only take themselves out.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

After nearly 50 years of riding, I can honestly say I have never had an accident on a bike that was someone else' fault. Usually my own stupidity is what got me into trouble, inattentiveness or riding to hard for the conditions.
I have read enough accident stories on here to know most are caused by the same thing, so let's just worry about our own abilities instead of trying to force someone else to conform to us.
As stated earlier we do not need anymore legislation.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we ought to mandate IQ test before Idiots are allowed to have sex and reproduce.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
umm.........no
Make it two of us. I don't ask for any more legislation, thank you.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

IMHO - everyone is missing the point. I think motorcycle awareness should be included in all driver's ed programs, and I think banning cell phone use while driving would be a good idea, but I doubt these things will make a huge difference. I believe part (if not most) of the problem is that NOBODY is held accountable for their irresponisble behavior/actions. Even insurance companies like Allstate seem to be encouraging people to drive like idiots because Allstate will protect them from "Mayhem". If there was SERIOUS consequences for irresponsible behavior (like loss of license for 5 years), then maybe a few of the nimrods on the road would pay attention to their driving instead of reading the paper, painting their nails, talking on the phone.... while they are driving. Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to imply the drunk driving is a good thing, but we make such a huge deal out of that, yet ignore other forms of impared driving. I see no difference between a drunk on the road and a totally distracted driver who is eating a cheesburger, yelling at the kids in the back seat, and putting on makeup all while driving the car. DRIVING IS # 1 priority. You have something else that needs to be done right now - then pull the F over and do it while the car is stopped.

Quick Reply: motorcycle safety course for everyone