General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle safety course for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM
bikridr69
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default motorcycle safety course for everyone

i think everbody should have to take the msf course before getting a license. and keep it up to date. its colorado springs 45 and sunny out. so yeah im riding. and some jackass pulls out in front of me while trying to do a u-turn. luckily it was at a slow speed and since i held it as long as i could there wasnt much damage to me or the bike. still pisses me off though. does anyone else think that all drivers should have to take the course, or have any other ideas to help keep us riders safe.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

umm.........no

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Probably would have a negative affect on motorcycles, if everyone had to take a MSF course.... reasoning is that it would probably scare too many people, and then we would get lobbying in DC to outlaw motorcycles because they are too dangerous...lol.

I do however believe that there should be more motorcycle awareness built into each states licensing instruction booklets... or whatever you want to call them.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
truthfire
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the MSF course with my wife last summer so she could get her license. It really is an excellent class, and it helps act as a reference when we're out riding and I coach her by saying, "Remember when they talked about....".

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about inattentive, inconsiderate, blind-a$$ drivers who just don't care. Although, I do hear carrying lead ***** in your left hand pocket can act as a deterrent.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Luckily it's mandated in military - did mine back in '88 & still practice maneuvers in lg parking lot every spring before heading out on 1st long run.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM
bikridr69
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i've taken it too. just wish there something for non riders to take or be mandatory to take so they are better aware of riders. this is the 2cd time someone pulled out in front of me. both times it was in the colder months. i shouldnt have to stop riding just because its technically winter. here there are always days to ride.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Luckily it's mandated in military - did mine back in '88 & still practice maneuvers in lg parking lot every spring before heading out on 1st long run.
Did my first course in '77 at the AFB I was stationed at... Still have the certificate... and that course was much harder and more intense than courses now... IIRC.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No I agree. I was hit by an SUV on the freeway about three months ago. Lady got impatient in the fast lane because it was going 30mph while the middle lane was doing 50+ so she whipped out at the first available opening she could to get into the middle lane...

...problem was it wasn't an opening. Totaled my bike, tore up my foot, knee, and shoulder, and there's 9 hours of my life I can't remember to save my life. All so she could get in a faster moving lane.

Best part was she told the police that she signaled, safely changed lanes, and once she had completed changing lanes that I HIT HER! Neverminde the damage to her vehicle was to the right FRONT fender and FRONT BUMPER.

But even before that I felt that non-riders should have some kind of "motorcycle awareness" training that helps them to be a bit more observant and to really keep an eye out for us hard to see riders. It will never happen, but I sure think there should be something.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I make my kids do exactly this and have them ride along with me a bit on the Dyna, it does make them better drivers. I dont think its hould be a law but I do think its a good $200 investment.

quote=bikridr69;7705974]i think everbody should have to take the msf course before getting a license. and keep it up to date. its colorado springs 45 and sunny out. so yeah im riding. and some jackass pulls out in front of me while trying to do a u-turn. luckily it was at a slow speed and since i held it as long as i could there wasnt much damage to me or the bike. still pisses me off though. does anyone else think that all drivers should have to take the course, or have any other ideas to help keep us riders safe.[/quote]

Last edited by masterblaster; 12-27-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't fix stupid... so requiring everyone else to take a class is not the answer...

Quick Reply: motorcycle safety course for everyone