General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More signs of Winter...Speculation!!! It would make total sense that MoCo would give a cut to the dealer for each upgrade, just like they make more dough off of a CVO than a stock Sporty. I wouldn't expect prices to be much different if at all. Where the money is made is that the dealer gets a cut and MoCo doesn't have to produce and use that OEM part. Less waste, more profit and I'm sure there's a slim hope in there somewhere that the customer might save a few bucks as opposed to the current system. Sounds to me like an opportunity to make everyone a winner!!! Now we just have to wait and see if it manifests itself in that fashion!!!
Good luck with that!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I gotta agree.

If I were a dealer, I'd be pissed. The Motor Company is essentially taking away from service departments at dealerships around the country.

Before, it was order the bike, pick out the accessories (pay retail), have the dealer install them (pay labor), go pick up your new ride.

Now you'll be paying the Motor Company instead of the dealer for the parts and the labor I bet.

'course I don't know ****, I'm just guessing how I think HD (Hundred Dollar) will run the show.
I agree with you Harley will only think pay now or pay later.This is only a program for guys that don't know how to use tools.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I agree with you Harley will only think pay now or pay later.This is only a program for guys that don't know how to use tools.
Or don't want to use tools. Some guys may want to spend more of their spare time riding.
I do agree that this isn't likely going to be a cost-saving program for the buyer... but it isn't being billed as such.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorbones
More signs of Winter...Speculation!!! It would make total sense that MoCo would give a cut to the dealer for each upgrade, just like they make more dough off of a CVO than a stock Sporty. I wouldn't expect prices to be much different if at all. Where the money is made is that the dealer gets a cut and MoCo doesn't have to produce and use that OEM part. Less waste, more profit and I'm sure there's a slim hope in there somewhere that the customer might save a few bucks as opposed to the current system. Sounds to me like an opportunity to make everyone a winner!!! Now we just have to wait and see if it manifests itself in that fashion!!!
Good luck with that!!!
I agree with Motorbones. I'll bet that HD will give dealers a "cut" of the extras they order for customers. That way the dealers aren't screaming so bad about losing $. Guy comes in with his custom bike done online, dealer orders bike, Harley credits dealer for each part the customer special orders. Maybe not as much as before, but, a cut none the less. I also think that Harley will only allow some items to be "special factory order" and the ones that are not will still be done at the dealer (everyone is happy!). I'll bet that the seat, paint, handlebars, and wheels are pretty much the only "factory" options, and when you put down you also wanted chrome controls, the dealer says "the factory won't do that but we as a dealer would be willing and able to do that service for you before you pick up the bike". We will see!
Jerry

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned

Originally Posted by pargenz
Or don't want to use tools. Some guys may want to spend more of their spare time riding.
I do agree that this isn't likely going to be a cost-saving program for the buyer... but it isn't being billed as such.
+1 time is money, and I wouldn't want something I put on to fall off when I'm RIDING!! Wrenching one's bike is a real biker thing I guess.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley should make more money because this new system should entice people to go for upgrades selling bikes for higher prices. Pays to add when ordering over after the bike is built.

The dealer should make more money because they will be able to sell bikes for more money, reduce labor costs because they won't need to have staff to put on parts, reduce over head by keeping reduced parts inventory.

The customer should save some money because it is always cheaper to do an upgrade at the factory then at the dealer. When the bike comes in there will be no delays on the customer taking delivery due to waiting for upgrade parts to come in.

It's a system that gshould give something to all parties.

Meets Victory's policy of selling bikes to order.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Just another way to get your money, I guess if you don't mind paying high prices for it

Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincewd
Just another way to get your money, I guess if you don't mind paying high prices for it
I have to admit, it is a very convenient thing for those that are going to buy the parts anyway, while at the dealer getting the bike.

Play at home on the computer, instead of leaning over the parts counter for an hour.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
+1 my guess is you will see wealthy guys go into dealerships and order a completely chromed out custom painted bike that will be $10k more than a CVO....watch...you will see some $50k+ bikes roll out with this program.
I'm looking at a new Ultra Limited....by the time I have all the **** I want on it the price is going to be about $10,000 more.....and I have a bunch of parts to sit in my garage and collect dust....if this program is as good as I think it could be.....then ****in A

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program