General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Mostly a marketing gimmick. I'll bet that factory customization is limited to specific items, like you can select wheels today. This may add a limited choice of seats, windshields or other minor items.

Bet it delays delivery by a couple months and price won't be any less than if you did it yourself or had the dealer do it. You can probably forget about keeping your take off parts too.
Don't know how this would be a marketing gimmick. I am sure that they have a set of options available...just like ordering a car with options you want. How is that a gimmick?

Since it is made to order...yes...probably a delay...but how long? Who knows? If it does turn out to be "months" the whole program will probably collapse. Still there are in fact people who order "made to order" items, like cars and refuse to settle for what is available at a dealer or even in a certain area. They want what they want and are willing to wait.

And keeping take off parts? Hmmm well probably true...but since you ordered the bike built with say, different wheels...why on earth would anyone think they are going to send you a set of standard wheels with the new ones? They sure don't do that when you order upgrades on a new car...including the wheels.

If HD has a lick of sense...and I would like to think after over a 100 years in business they must have some, then ordering a different set of wheels would be an upcharge rather than if you had to go out and buy them as standalones. It may not be a lot of money...but there will probably be some savings as they didn't have to spend the money for the standard parts to start with.

Honestly I think it is about time they put a program in place like this. It may not deliver every part or configuration possible on a bike...but it is going to give buyers who want them, some choices that simply weren't there before. Gimmick? Don't think so, but time will tell.

But let's look at the bigger picture. When you offer a program like this...and run it long enough, you begin to get a picture of what people really want. Over time you can alter your base production models accordingly so that (and this is hypothetical) if everyone seemed to want chrome switch covers...then I might start producing my standard line with chrome switch covers. Of course there might be jack up in price...but if I am meeting what buyers really want...then they will buy it. Think about it boys and girls....at least those of you old enough. In the 70's how much was the upcharge for air conditioning in a car? How much do you pay for AC in a car today? That's right...by seeing what buyers are willing to pay for and the amount of demand for that...I can alter my standard offerings to meet those demands...and I WILL capture business from my competitors.

This could lead to packages...i.e. the black package...blacked out engine, shift and brake levers, black engine guard and footpegs...whatever. There are a lot of possibilities here.

HD is getting ready to offer something that the other major bike builders don't have...and I am sure as it progresses there will be adjustments...but they will take share from competitors because of this. I think if anyone stands to lose it probably will be the maintenance departments at the dealers and their parts sales. Stands to reason that if I buy it the way I want it...then I don't have to pay for it later. Not everyone is a wrench...Lord I have had to help people tighten up the mirror on their bike because they didn't know how to do it.

Last edited by SlowRain; 01-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
Don't know how this would be a marketing gimmick. I am sure that they have a set of options available...just like ordering a car with options you want. How is that a gimmick?
+1 on everthing you just said. I for one hope I will be able to order a Street Glide with the engine all blacked out.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Nope
don't like it one bit
no sir not one bit

Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Reichpapers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah...so now when you see that bike all decked out in the parts catalogue...you'll be able to order one like it...etc..

Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Default about frickin time

Ya would have loved to order what i wanted, rather that waste my time and money throwing parts away to achieve the look and performance of my harley. be nice to order what type engine, seat, bars,wheels, chrome or no chrome parts etc.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think if done right, it will be a good thing and a way to some money in sorts.
For example.
Stock seat adds $100 to motorcycle price. You want seat x that just buying costs $250. Well since they aren't putting on stock seat which is included in base price, they tack on $150 and essentially you saved $100.

Just my 2 cents. You are saving money by not paying the $100 for stock seat and then still spending $250.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
It makes perfect sense to me. Only question would be, can you design your own bike without all the EPA crap? .
No...it would be a serious violation of Federal Law.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
Mostly a marketing gimmick. I'll bet that factory customization is limited to specific items, like you can select wheels today. This may add a limited choice of seats, windshields or other minor items.

Bet it delays delivery by a couple months and price won't be any less than if you did it yourself or had the dealer do it. You can probably forget about keeping your take off parts too.
Dude: It is a custom order program...there are no take off parts.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by SlowRain

HD is getting ready to offer something that the other major bike builders don't have...and I am sure as it progresses there will be adjustments...but they will take share from competitors because of this. I think if anyone stands to lose it probably will be the maintenance departments at the dealers and their parts sales. Stands to reason that if I buy it the way I want it...then I don't have to pay for it later. Not everyone is a wrench...Lord I have had to help people tighten up the mirror on their bike because they didn't know how to do it.
+1 my guess is you will see wealthy guys go into dealerships and order a completely chromed out custom painted bike that will be $10k more than a CVO....watch...you will see some $50k+ bikes roll out with this program.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
kamut
Tourer

It seems like a good way to start to compete with the aftermarket. There are so many people that make money off a Harley bike besides Harley. If you could order what you want on the bike for a decent price, people may turn less to the aftermarket.

Also, as somebody mentioned, it's an additional communication loop with their customers.

But if it's expensive, limited and unrealistic, people are still going to turn to the aftermarket.

I think it's one step in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program