General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think many would like this program if the savings are there vs. replacing parts after the fact.
Just chrome lowers offered for the front end would sell to a bunch of people I know.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
What goes around comes around.....It's about time Harley Davidson started doing the same as what the other manufactures have been doing (copying).

Just wish they would focus on a Yamaha V Max power train and build a water cooled V4 that looks externally like an air cooled V Twin cruiser with enough power and torque to draw headlines like "Fastest most powerful production bike ever!". That's what they should have done when they started with a clean slate and designed the V Rod.
Harley was not the inventor of the v-twin, and many companys produced v-twins before 1940. I love how everyone always says "they're copying Harley!" when in fact, Harley had to copy to get what everyone claims is being copied.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Way I read it in the link he gave.....It's not the factory doing it it's the dealership. I get that from the fact that they say you can do it with a new bike or the bike you have already. I could be wrong...Wouldn't be the 1st time but that's the way I read it.

completly agree with you!! I am thinking it will be just a new computer program on their site (different from the SH** one they have now) allowing you to build a bike and then print out the pretty picture with all the parts for your dealer to install and rob you on the installation JMO!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Am I the only one that remembers that this is exactly how you used to order a Harley? Up until the late-60s a Harley 74 came from the factory in one flavor: FL(H). There was no such thing as Superglides, and "Dressers" were an accessory package called (IIRC) "The King of the Highway" group or package. Dealers started ordering the bikes already dressed because that's how most customers wanted them. They did a one or two year revival of the basic Hog around 1980 called the FLHS which was basically a stripped hog (frame mounted seat, no fairing, no bags, no shield). Ironically, many guys that bought these dressed them up later.

Hard to believe that some are still trying to peddle the foolishness that Harley copied the Japs or near-Japs. If adopting a v-twin engine design means Harley copied Indian, oh well. That happened over a hundred years ago and Indian has been out of business for almost 60 years. Hardly a good excuse for the Japs and near-Jap American imitators to blatantly copy HD.

While were on the subject of American imitators: a week or so ago someone made the direct statement that Victory was "a lot more American" than Harley. We are all aware of the foreign parts on Harley's, but for a Victory to be a lot more American it would seem logical that some major components foreign made on a Harley are American made on a Victory. Which ones? I asked this question a week or so ago and haven't heard anything but the chirping of crickets on the matter. Did I miss the thread about all the American parts on a Victory, or is this just more BS like the "Honda's are more American than Harley" rumor of a few years ago?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck

While were on the subject of American imitators: a week or so ago someone made the direct statement that Victory was "a lot more American" than Harley. We are all aware of the foreign parts on Harley's, but for a Victory to be a lot more American it would seem logical that some major components foreign made on a Harley are American made on a Victory. Which ones? I asked this question a week or so ago and haven't heard anything but the chirping of crickets on the matter. Did I miss the thread about all the American parts on a Victory, or is this just more BS like the "Honda's are more American than Harley" rumor of a few years ago?
I can answer that q, but I'm not allowed to talk Victory in here anymore.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Last year I was at my local dealer and herd the owner talking about this programe, He liked it, He said you pick out what ya want and MOCO puts it on....Engine upgrades etc....
Just look at the savings if ya add Apes to a Street glide at the factory....Ya save about 10 hrs labor....

Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 AM
schumacher
Club Member

and, as a footnote, the CEO of Polaris recently stated:
"We tend to compete more with BMW and Triumph than we do with Harley”

Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I also think it's a great idea. Yeah, I can use a wrench same as other people but I would really rather spend my time riding. I will be looking forward to what custom color options they make available.

Super smart move by Harley.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will just consist of a consultant at the dealership that will help you add things to your bike like racks, guards, seats, exhaust, handlebars, lowering kits, etc...when ordering a bike or making changes to one you already own.
most bigger dealerships have been doing it for years.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff08fxdc
Last year I was at my local dealer and herd the owner talking about this programe, He liked it, He said you pick out what ya want and MOCO puts it on....Engine upgrades etc....
Just look at the savings if ya add Apes to a Street glide at the factory....Ya save about 10 hrs labor....
+1 No **** Shylock!!! When I bought my Road King, I wanted a few upgrades out the door. The dealer wanted about $780 for labor to put it all on the bike. I told them I didn't think so. I put them on myself, How sweet it would have been to have been to get the bike I wanted ready to go upon delivery.

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program